Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Way Too Hot!

We arrived back in our part of Germany on Wednesday night.  More about that later. Apparently, the "heat wave" struck a few days ago.  I have always considered myself to be a summer girl, I love the sun, I love getting a tan...but I do not like being in a hot house.  In Germany, *most* homes do not have A/C...some businesses do, some stores do, but many do not. We open the windows, turn on the fans and we even have 2 portable A/C units but they don't do much more than take the temps down a few degrees in the rooms they are in.  I haven't been able to sleep for the past two nights.  Although it's not because I'm hot because one of the A/C units is in my bedroom--the hottest room in the entire house.


The first night we got back, Toby slept the night in his room but Thomas joined us in our room shortly after midnight.  Tonight, Thomas couldn't fall asleep in his room because it was just too hot.  Again, Toby fell asleep in his room, but I was surprised to walk into my room and find Thomas on the floor in a slumber bag and Toby sleeping in the pack-n-play.  Apparently, James decided it's just entirely too hot for any family member to sleep in this heat so everyone is fast asleep in my bedroom--except me--not quite sure what my problem is but I can't sleep.  And it's not like I'm stressing out over something yet my body says it is...I hope it's just the heat making me a little nutty.  

This is my first whole summer here in Germany (and MY LAST--I'm getting so giddy, it's kind of funny--I think I am getting that first glimpse of the light at the end of the tunnel), last summer, I spent 2 months in Utah, came back to Germany and we were wearing jackets within a week.  I ran into a friend today at the commissary and she said it's usually like this for 2-3 weeks.  I'm going to try to find a wading pool for the kiddos today. Although the 5-day forcast does show slight cooling and quite a bit of rain...I can't believe I'm looking forward to rain but I am...

And all of this does make me realize how hard it's going to be stepping off that plane next July in Washington DC...(but here I go again...getting excited!)

Until later,

Emily

4 comments:

Alison said...

I hate being hot...sorry. When we went to Spain, in August, I thought I would die...fans do not HELP! So this is your last year?

The Mendon Welkers said...

I cannot believe how quickly time goes! Unbelievable!!!!

Lokodi said...

You're crazy for wanting to leave Germany. I have to admit, the weather there sucks! It's either too wet and cold or too hot for not having AC. But overall, I love Germany. Ok, so the people aren't very nice either and nothing is convinent and nothing is cheap...Ok, maybe I need to re-evaluate why I want to move back.

Lindsey

camilot said...

Hopefully next year is as phenominal as this year then you will not mind getting off the plane. It hasn't been hot or humid. Knock on wood.