Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, January 11, 2010

Toby Turns Three!

Unwrapping presents while Skyping with Grandma Arleen, Grandpa Dan & Kurt.

We were singing "Happy Birthday" to him. Toward the end, he joined in.

Yum, a cupcake and a big bowl of ice cream!

Thomas

Pretty serious about the unwrapping.

A phone call from Kate.

More unwrapping.


Today was Toby's birthday. He is three years old now. Or the way he pronounces it "I free!" Today was pretty much a normal day for Toby, but he did have two requests: he didn't want me to take him to daycare and he didn't want me to take him to a friends and leave him there. And, I didn't. We did go see a friend (VT), but when I left, so did he. We made a trip to the commissary where I filled a cart all the while only having approximately 10 items on my list. He had a meltdown while checking out because I wouldn't let him have any candy. Since it was his birthday, I probably should have given in, but I don't often reward meltdowns and tantrums like that. I bought him a new booster seat, as opposed to giving him Thomas' old one. This morning, I gladly swapped the booster seat for the car seat.

Toby fell asleep in the car on the way home from the commissary. I think he is hitting the point in his life where he will not always take an afternoon nap, but will probably still need one a couple times a week. Today was one of those days. He napped for quite a while and then Thomas came home from school. Thomas has been out of school for the past 3 weeks for Winter Break and today was his first day back at school, so Toby did ask about Thomas quite a bit today. He missed him.

Toby and Thomas played this evening while I picked up the house and made dinner. He got to Skype my parents and Kurt (my brother) while he opened their presents to him. I love modern-day technology. After that, he got a phone call from Grandma Sherry (James' mom) and Kate (my sister) Later on, we had our neighbors, the W family come over and have cupcakes, brownies and ice cream. Then our boys and their oldest son played together. Toby got a cool Hot Wheels track and some more Geo Trax train so our living room has been taken over!

Until later,

Emily

3 comments:

Sues2u2 said...

Happy Birthday, Toby! I still have those photos of you holding him in the NICU. Amazing how far he's come.

jlk said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Toby! He and Patch are going to be good friends -- I can feel it!

Mom said...

Technology is so great. I can't even think what these years would have been like without Skype. Of course it is going to have to keep going after you return to the States. I love being able to see them every week not just in photos. It was fun watching him open his gifts. Happy Birthday Toby. We love you. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom