Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life in a Hotel/Life Right Now

A week ago, we checked into a hotel that we plan on living in for three more weeks. Yes, you read that right, we are staying here for one whole month. We have received a lot of condolences over this, but let me assure you that we are quite OK. We are staying in a hotel with two bedrooms and two full bathrooms, we also have a little living room and a full kitchen. And THREE TV's (that's two more then we'll have once we unpack). A full breakfast is served daily. There is a pool and a small gym. Housekeeping can come daily, if I want them to. Free internet.


This hotel is only a three-minute drive from our house. So we kind of look at our house as "work", we go there during the day and work in the house, but in the evening, we come back to the hotel and unwind and sleep. We have been going through the boxes that we sent on our own (essentially, we mailed our own air freight), and assessing what needs to be done to the house.

We had "good" renters, but there is still quite a bit of work to do, after all, they did live in our home for three years! Most of it is cosmetic. I think I was naive to think we could finish it all in a month, but we'll get a good start on it.

Most rooms could use a fresh coat of paint, we'll start with the basement, master bedroom, and smallest bedroom (it pains me to paint over Thomas' baby room, I spent sooooo many hours painting it while 36 weeks pregnant), but the time has come!. I'd also like the living room to get a fresh coat, my thinking is the more paint that can be done without furniture and while we still have the old carpet, the better. New carpet is ordered. I ordered a new storm door on Saturday. This week, I will be ordering new kitchen countertops, once I get a second quote. They aren't the fanciest, but I think almost anything would be an improvement over white formica! Oh, and a new sink and faucet is kind of a must!

I'd like to replace a lot of my curtains, but haven't had any luck finding even one set that is "calling out to me" so I realize this may take a very long time. And we have time, we have blinds on all of our windows. We're going to switch out the white ceiling fan in our bedroom for a black one and also put one up in the basement. That will make five ceiling fans in our home, I guess we are "fans" of fans!

Until later,

Emily


1 comments:

Mom said...

Emily enjoy the maid service soon it will be you. Have a good day, hug the boys. Love Always Mom