Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, April 19, 2010

The Moving Process

Well we have started our moving process. We were able to secure our pack-out dates last week. We got the exact dates we hoped for and everything worked out as far as that. Which will be in just over one month from now (time to get serious)! We are packing out early and then bringing in loaner furniture and living another month in our home. We have our hotels booked while we are finishing up here. We will be staying in a hotel in our town for five days and then we will go stay in Frankfurt for the last week. We have our appointment to have my car agriculturally cleaned inside and out (not a grain of German sand can go home!) The next day we will drop off my car and have it shipped back to the U.S. They are expecting it to take about 45 days to get back to Baltimore.


James still has to look into shipping his car, it won't be going through the military channels, so we don't really know what to expect about that. Shipping it back to the US was built-in to the price when we ordered the Mini.

I have made some of the travel arrangements for Tailer, but most of her "out-processing" can't be done until 10 days before she leaves (she has to be checked out by a vet and get a "Health Certificate" not more than 10 days before our flight).

We have our flight reservations. Unfortunately, there are no direct flights from Frankfurt to Salt Lake but we're going to go all the way to Denver and then take a short flight into Salt Lake.

Oh, yes, in case anyone missed that...we're going to UT for a while before we settled back in Frederick, MD.

And speaking of Frederick, MD...

I have contacted the principal of the school that Thomas will be attending next year. I can't register him yet, but they can assign him a "student number" and know that and count on that he is coming. He also has to come with a current physical but I'm still waiting to hear if that can be from my German pediatrician, if I can get it done while we are in UT or if it needs to be done in MD. Thomas will be attending school in the school that is within the neighborhood that I would really like to live in one day. So I guess if you can't live in the neighborhood that you want, at least your kids can go to school there (I love that we're probably considered the "un-desirable" families!), at least that's the way it's working out for us!

I was also able to get Toby into preschool for next fall. Thanks to a friend and a friend-of-a-friend, funny how it's sometimes harder to get your kid into preschool rather than real school. It's the same preschool that Thomas went to his first year, so in the end, Toby was "grandfathered" in after said friend and friend-of-a-friend plead his case. He'll go four days a week, but it's only for 2 hours and 10 minutes each day. But the starting time is great. Plenty of time to get Thomas on the bus and then I'll drive Toby to school. I probably won't go home much but will run my errands or hit the gym while he's there. I'm hoping that there might be a class at the YMCA on the other day that I can enroll him in. I always enjoyed that day with Thomas. I took him to class and then we went out to lunch every single Monday.

Until later,

Emily


5 comments:

The Mendon Welkers said...

I ran in to Kate at Walmart last Wednesday and she commented you were starting your "packing" plans. I can't believe it is already here! The next little while will fly because you're going to be so busy! I can't wait until you're in Utah.....Fredrico's here we come...I hope!

sues2u2 said...

Wow! I knew you were organized but wow! Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful last two months.

Hey, when are y'all going to be in Ut? The Princess is getting baptized w/ her cousin (who's from Hyrum) @ the beginning of June. Too funny that we could be there @ the same time.

Dycie said...

That is so exciting that you are moving back! Good luck with everything. I will be thinking of you!!

Dycie

Spencer and Amy Shumway said...

You are really busy! I am actually dreading the time when we leave. Bitter sweet!

Mom said...

You have so much to do. Your Dad and I went today and got Tailer's kennel. Now I will have to clear a space in the garage. I still need a tarp for the top so she and Porter can only visit through the bars. I will be ready for her in May. Talk to you tomorrow. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom