Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow Baby Update



(12 weeks, 2 days)

I saw my perinatologist, Dr. Hodor, yesterday (high-risk OB). Everything went well. I got a thorough sonogram and everything appeared to be normal with the baby. There are no subchorionic hemorrhages and he said now that I am to where I am at it would be "very, very unlikely". There was some worry because I am "older" but once I explained that the embryo was frozen when I was 31, there was a look of relief on both the sonographer and doctor's faces.

Dr. Hodor wants to see me monthly where I will get another thorough sonogram until 32 weeks. They will keep checking on my cervix and at some point start doing some kind of test where they check the cells and can tell if my body is starting to show signs of preterm labor. I think he said they'd start doing that at around 22-24 weeks. I am also going to start weekly progesterone shots (called 17p) in a month. They have been found very effective in preventing preterm labor. This office wasn't using them five years ago when I had Toby. I will be able to give them to myself at home rather than go into the office weekly and pay the co-pay since I've already been doing that because of the IVF. I will take them until 36 weeks. Usually once the shots are halted, labor starts in a week or two after that.

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

sues2u2 said...

It's amazing how far medicine has come in such a short time. I felt a kind of relief reading all this so I can only imagine how you feel. Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I am so lucky to get two new grandchildren in the same year. The sonogram is so very clear. How neat they can do than sort of thing. Hug the boys. Talk to you tomorrow. Love Always Mom