Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our Bad Luck Streak

They say bad luck comes in threes. Well, I hope that is the case, because we have had a streak of bad luck over the past few weeks and we don't need anymore! First of all, as I had posted a while ago, our roof sustained considerable damage a few weeks ago during a bad wind storm. We got our new roof put on on Friday. I can tell you that I chose a very pretty shade of shingles, but they are so high up, you'll just have to take my word for it! We had quite a bit of rain in between the time of the shingles flying off and when we got the new shingles put on, but I think we got the repair done on time before it caused any other considerable damage. Well, I hope so!

Then, after all these months of being back Stateside, I finally got fed up enough and wanted my TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) fixed on my car. In fact, it was what I asked for as my gift for Valentine's Day. James did end up buying me something different but said to go ahead and get the repair done. I was really hoping it would be a free or inexpensive computer reset, but it was not. There were parts and labor involved. Ridiculously expensive tiny little parts! But we finally got it fixed and it's nice not having that bothersome light lit up on the dash anymore. All in all, it took three appointments in Germany and two appointments here to get it fixed! It was kind of a hassle for such a silly repair!

And then, a few nights ago, our water heater died. It was the original water heater that came with the house--it was 18 years old. The day that it broke, I had done a few loads of laundry and two loads of dishes and I know the hot water was working. After dinner, James went to start a bath for the boys when he discovered there was no hot water. Sure enough, I went downstairs, and it was leaking. But luckily the leak was slow enough that it was contained in the closet that the water heater was stored in and the drain that is built in there was carrying away most of the water. So all in all, we were lucky. We turned off the main water valve for the night and had a new water heater installed the next day.

Until later,



Marrian said...

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck you're having! I do LOVE your blog page, especially the family photo!

Mom said...

Now you can also cross them off your to do list. They are fixed. Not to worry about them for a very long time. hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

WEmily said...

Just thought you might find it interesting that we had the same problem with our tires. When we checked the tire pressure the gage thing came right out of the tire because we couldn't get the cap off and so we got a flat and had to use the spare for a while. We eventually got it fixed months later.