Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Friday, October 23, 2009

Seven Years Ago...

Seven years ago tonight I was trying to go to sleep. It was the first day in about a month that I hadn't taken a nap in the afternoon (I quit work 1 month before my due date), and I was exhausted. It was also the first day in a month that I went to bed with a messy house (or what I used to call a messy house--I'd kill to have that as my standard now!). But, I just could not settle down, I thought I must have eaten something that didn't agree with me and kept having to spend time in the bathroom. A little before 10 it occurred to me that I may have been in labor...so I started timing the cramps and they were 3-4 minutes apart. But, for some reason (maybe because this is what the doctors hammer in your heads), I stayed at home for one hour before I picked up the phone and called my doctor's office. The contractions were mostly 3-4 minutes apart, although there were some that were 2 minutes apart. At exactly 60 minutes, I picked up the phone. I managed to make that call in between contractions and I sounded calm. Nevertheless, the mid-wife told me to meet her at the hospital (or rather, once the nurses checked me then they would call her if I was really in labor). James and I left and made our way to the hospital which is about an 8 minute drive from our house. I didn't make it through the brief check-in process (although I had already pre-registered), the lady at the front desk seemed to recognize the urgency in my breathing. So, I was wheeled up (while James was trying to find parking), quickly undressed and discovered that I was dilated to an 8! Then things were very hectic and I discovered that there would be no epidural and that my mid-wife had been called and lived only one exit away from the hospital (she later told me that night that "it was a good thing that she lived so close". James arrived. I quickly went through transition, which was really scary to me. Jeannie (my mid-wife) arrived, I was dilated to a 9 1/2, she broke my water and I immediately dilated to a 10. That was somewhere around 1:10 AM, I had Thomas at 1:23 AM. On his due date, no less.

So, I will say one thing for myself, I may not have a body that likes to get pregnant, or be pregnant but my body is fantastic at having fast babies! (I was even faster the 2nd time around).


Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

jlk said...

This is me, being jealous of your fast labor.

Mom said...

Just making it to the hospital is something you are known for. That day was also the day the D.C. snipers were caught in a rest stop outside Fredrick. It was quite a day. Love Always Mom