Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Potty-trained!

I have been trying for months to get Toby interested in potty training. Not that I've been spending countless hours, but I spent 3 days in December, where all I managed to do was clean up pee on the floor and do a lot of laundry (he never once made it in the toilet).


Every night (for months, not just those 3 days in December), we invited Toby to pee in the toilet before he got in the bath tub. And every single night he would scream "NOOOOOO!" and run away. I put him in underwear for a couple of afternoons/evenings in March and NOTHING.

I had finally accepted that he was not ready and I was just going to stop worrying about it for a while. Thomas was 3 1/2 years old, almost to the day, so I accepted that Toby would probably be that old...or older (oh the shame of it!).

Then, on Monday, he decided to take all of his clothes off and streak around the house. I took one look at him and told him that if he was going to run around with no clothes on and only a diaper, he may as well wear some underwear. He stayed dry all evening and went pee in the toilet once. I thought surely, it must be a fluke.

Tuesday afternoon, after we were done with our errands, I put him in a Pull-up, I was curious as to what he would do. To my surprise, he stayed dry the rest of the day and peed 3 times.

Yesterday, was a rare day at home, except for driving Thomas to and from school. I threw underwear on him...and he stayed dry ALL DAY LONG! He even went to the school with underwear on....DRY...DRY...DRY!

This morning, he woke up with a dry diaper and AGAIN stayed dry the whole day! Not to say that he's not ever going to have an accident, of course he will, but it does appear that he's ready to do this. Like so many other things (like finally walking at 18 months, and RUNNING with coordination a week later!) it had to be when HE was ready not when anyone else was ready! By the way, he's 3 years, almost 4 months old.

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

Mom said...

Toby works on his terms and only his. That boy is only slightly bull headed. We can only guess where that could come from. Remember when he was ready to come into this world, ready or not he came. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom

The Mendon Welkers said...

Wahooo! It is always a wonderful thing when the diapers go away! Hurray for Toby. I am going to start Nicole this fall. I talked myself out of trying during the summer when you're constantly outside. I am NOT looking forward to the "work".