Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thomas Gets His First Stitches!

First of all, James and Grandma Sherry, he's fine. Thomas had an appointment with the dermatologist today. He was born with a mole in the inside of his left arm, kind of up by the armpit. Over the past year, it has nearly doubled in size and the color has concerned me. The dermatologist said it was most likely OK, but then again, it could be one of those that wasn't and to be on the safe side, he should have it removed.

Let's just say the crying began when the doctor mentioned the word shot (I wish he wouldn't have said that!), and then the entire wing of the medical office heard what was going on as the shot was administered and the mole was removed. The chunk of skin that was removed was alarming to me (I was physically holding him down on my lap as this was being done)...it was a much bigger deal than I expected. Blood was everywhere and then it was time for the stitches. I was expecting a criss-cross, not the five stitches that he got. Now he's supposed to keep his arm out of water for a week...but then I explained to the doctor that we'll be swimming by the weekend, so he said to do the best that we can.

As a side note, since he received some sort of novacaine-like shot last week while getting his cavities filled and then another today for the removal of the mole, my mom and I have noticed that Thomas has a noticible side effect as the medication is coming out of his system. He is the crankiest child ever...I mean beyond anything that we've ever seen in him! It's awful!

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

sues2u2 said...

I hate it when Dr's or nurses mention the word "shot". Why can't they leave well enough alone!!

Glad that Thomas is okay. It is pretty freaky to see the amount of skin they take out. N has to have one done on his neck & I'm sure glad that he's 11 & the thought of stitches will be "cool" to him!

Ana said...

Poor kid! I dread the day one of my kids has to have something invasive done. We've been lucky so far, but I know it won't last forever, sigh.

jlk said...

Ugh. What an ordeal!

DanceNplay said...

I read over you blog! Are you still in Utah?? How fun!! So, did Toby just start walking? Sounds like you've had some fun with medical issues! Where's your townhouse here? Take care Emily!

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!
love ya
mlk