Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Friday, February 20, 2009

France--February 2009

Thomas was out for 9 days for "Ski Week".  We wanted to go somewhere at least part of the time.  James put in to have the work week off way back in November.  Five days before the first day of leave, he finally got it approved.  Which is nice, but five days before makes it a little difficult to get any kind of decent price on flights for four.  We almost decided not to go anywhere at all, but with time off being so hard to get, we decided we better take what we could get and make the best of it.  We decided we'd drive to France.  We got an amazing deal at a Marriott Resort Villa five minutes away from Disney France.  It had two full-sized bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, a full kitchen and a living room and dining room.  The place could sleep six comfortably because there was also a hideaway bed/couch.  It was so cute.  The place was decorated in your typical French hues of pretty yellows and blues and reds.  I could have spent five days just in our villa and been happy.


The first day, we just drove there.  It takes about 4 hours and 15 minutes if you do not stop.  But, of course, we did, so it took us about 5 1/2 hours to get there.  Our kids were amazing.

On Monday, we went to Disney Paris.  We had thought that it would be kind of "un-busy" since it was in the middle of the winter...but I think there must have been a lot of Europeans out of school too, it was pretty crowded.  Lines were still 45-50 minutes long.  It was still fun, though and both kids seemed to enjoy Disney, although neither one of them are too keen on the big dressed-up characters so we just kind of walked quickly by them when one popped up.

The next day, we took the train into Paris.  It was colder this day.  We took in some of the sites and rode the train a lot.  I never dreamed I would ever see Paris.  I would like to go back.

Actually, James and Thomas did go back on the third day.  It was raining and cold and my feet were absolutely killing from all the walking we had done the first two days.  My boots have sort of a wedge heal to them and I foolishly only brought those boots and house slippers to use.  James gave me the option of staying "home" with Toby on the third day and I took it.  I had started reading Twilight the first night and wanted to finish it.  So, I literally, put my feet up, relaxed and read my book, and Toby played with matchbox cars around me most of the day and then we took a 2-hour nap, I bathed and Thomas and James returned home.  I was in need of some R & R and I got it!

On Thursday, we had to check out rather early, 10 AM.  I think that's a little early, 11 AM is more reasonable, in my opinion!  Nevertheless, we checked out and started on our way back home.  We stopped off at Chili's which left us with one hour left until we were home.

Now that we've done it, we hope to drive to France again soon.  We really, really loved where we stayed.  The train station was only five minutes away too and I think we'd like to take the kids to Disney again.  And there is still so much to see in downtown Paris! James and I both commented that we think Toby has kind of gotten over that really "hard" stage.  He's improved since we were in London, let's leave it at that.

Until later,

Emily


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen one of you kids like some dress character, Santa and you remember Kate HATES clowns. We tell our kids not to talk to strangers then we want them to go near some weirdo in a costume. You got smart kids. Hug those cute boys and take care. Love Always Mom

Hintze Family said...

You've seen London, you've seen France, and all with only one little boy in underpants!

You guys are turning into quite the world travelers. It is so great that you have the opportunity to do this. I'm sure James' job has it's share of negatives, but the traveling with the family is one of the plus sides. I am so jealous mon ami!

Ana said...

I so wish Europe had been an option for us! Stupid Navy, closing down bases... Ah, well. Paris sounded like a lot of fun. Maybe one of these days.