Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thomas' First Lost Tooth!



Tonight, I am sure if any of my neighbors were out walking their dogs, they probably thought I was trying to kill Thomas.  His tooth was so loose and it had gotten to the point where it was bleeding, and I decided tonight was the night! Thomas, however, was not brave, nor was he cooperative.  I might add that James was also not at all helpful.  Through the crying and carrying on he threw his hands in the air and declared, "I can't handle this, I'm going downstairs!"  Admittedly, I really had no idea what I was doing, but now we all know that the tooth pulling will be up to me or the dentist in the future!  I was finally able to give the tooth a good yank and at the same time keep Thomas from pushing away from me and the tooth was out.  I was scared that the tooth would fall into his mouth and choke him.  I was glad that it came right out onto the Kleenex that I used to grip the tooth.  Once I had the tooth out of his mouth, I dramatically asked Thomas, "Ooh, where's your tooth?" He immediately moved his tongue to the hole and his normally large eyes got even larger.  He was still crying at this point. Then I said, "Why are you crying? Your tooth is out!" That changed it all, the crying stopped and it was time to clean up the blood and call the grandparents!


Until later,

Emily

P.S. You'll notice that his permanent tooth is already up quite a bit!

4 comments:

jlk said...

Yea! That is such a right of passage for a kid. The next few teeth get easier.

Anonymous said...

Emily I laughed so hard at your phone call I was crying. I know it really is hard on you, knowing you are hurting your child. Someone has to get them out. I knew James was not going to be that one. Hopefully Thomas tooth will go into place not looking at braces in the future. Tell Thomas I will show Grandpa and Kurt the pictures tonight when they come in from chores. Kate will look at the tomorrow at school. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

Anonymous said...

Bravo!
Some things just seem to automatically fall into the loving arms of Moms. I guarantee that at school Thomas will proudly display his new space soon to be filled by the new tooth.
I can still remember my first tooth pulling episode (me personally). A string was fastened around the tooth and to the door handle. Move me a distance from the door, slightly more than the length of the string. Slam the door, and "bingo" no tooth.
Course the greatest reward of all was always the tooth fairy visiting.
It does get easier, and he will probably want to do it himself next time.
Love and courage
Gert

Anonymous said...

Yeah! It is such a right of passage for a kid! That is exciting!