Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Amsterdam--October 5-8, 2008

Well, after living here for 14 months, we finally made our way out of Germany! Because, in this case, going back to the States for the summer doesn't count! Amsterdam might seem like an odd choice for a group of six Mormons, which included two young children and two senior citizens, but that is where we went!

Amsterdam is one crazy city! And not because of the legal prostitution and pot-smoking! Although, I must say, we didn't venture into the "Red Light District", but there were still plenty of places that we were glad that the kids are too young to notice much. However, the thing that seemed the most wild to me, and I think to all of us, were the bicyclists! You really had to watch out for those speedy little bikes! Around every corner it seemed like there was a race going on, teenagers, moms and dads with one or two kids riding with them, double seaters, and even old people. Everyone bikes.

I liked Amsterdam a lot because the Dutch just seemed like a lot more friendly people than the Germans, in general. I also like that the Dutch really do know both Dutch and English and don't care which one you know. After three days, I declared that I would rather live in the Netherlands! Alas, we came back...


The morning of October 7th (my 34th birthday), we hopped abroad a tour boat to get a view of Amsterdam.

Ours were the only kids on the boat, so we quickly found our way to the back, where the open air was, trying not to annoy too many passengers.


We rode along the canals for about an hour.

A view of the inside, Grandpa Dennis and Grandma Sherry are on the right side, second table from the back.

Thomas loved it!

A rare opportunity--someone else along who can take a picture with all four of us in it!

(But, of course, Toby won't smile!)

Anne Frank's house (the one with the black doors and shutters).

It was eerie to walk through the rooms where the eight people hid for over two years, but I'm glad we got the chance to do it).

Until later,

Emily


4 comments:

jlk said...

Toby was very serious about his Amersterdam experience, wasn't he?

Oh, and happy birthday. I am slow on that.

sues2u2 said...

That so looks like fun! I wanted to do that but alas it wasn't in the cards.

I love the fact that everyone else looks like they're having a good time but Toby!

I'm so glad that you went to the Anne Frank house. I wanted to a concentration camp but Hubby said no. It's just so important that we don't forget!

Life in Maryland said...

How cool! And Happy Belated Birthday!!! We miss you guys!

The Mendon Welkers said...

So Fun! What beautiful pictures!