Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, October 20, 2008

Making Friends Whether You Want to or Not...

Today Thomas and I had a conversation that went a little like this,


Thomas: "Mom, I have to be friends with Jackson or he will beat me up."

Me: "Well, Thomas, if Jackson is that way, is he really a good friend?"

Thomas: "No, but I have to be his friend until we move away from here and I don't go to that school anymore or he'll beat me up."


I don't know what is more shocking...to find out that this boy Jackson is such a "sweet" boy or that fact that Thomas already has it all figured out...that he's already learning to pick his battles and for him he chooses to play with Jackson rather than getting beat up by him.

Until later,

Emily

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Thomas. But, Please, please keep your ears open on this because this Jackson might be a bully -- a talk with the teacher might be in order.
Jeanine has experienced this with her boys. The teacher probably already knows it if the boy is a bully, but it doesn't hurt to get it on record.
All well here -- getting cold evenings -- down in the 40s tonight. I prefer summer.
Take care. Love, Gert

Anonymous said...

Emily I bet you would like to just want to confront Jackson. The Mother Panther comes out at this times. I remember the problems with the Barlow and Wiser girls and Kate. I would have liked to rung their necks if I could. There are always Mean/Bullies in life. They nor their parent see them as that. Just listen and maybe should ask about the situation often. Talk to the teacher to see if anyone else could be having trouble if Thomas tells you again in a day or two this is still a problem. We would truly love to protect them from all the bad things and people in their lives but we can't. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

The Mendon Welkers said...

I think as a parent things like this pull the heart strings. Hannah learned the other day at school about the "middle finger". It breaks my heart that they have to learn about these things. Wouldn't it be nice to protect them FOREVER?!?