Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Friday, October 10, 2008

First Experience with a Doctor Out "On the Economy"

Ever since we got back from the States this summer, I have been trying to get Thomas into the military health clinic for a health assessment so that he can continue to be registered with CYS (Child and Youth Services), which last year meant preschool, hourly care, and sports but this year, because he's in school, it really only means sports and since he's not signed up for any with the military system, it's not that big of a deal. But, as of September 7th, his registration ran out. I didn't register Toby until last spring, so he is still registered, as it is an annual registration.

But, at the same time, I have been trying to get Toby in for an 18-month check-up. I have also had no luck with that. Being a civilian, I get "Space-Available" appointments, and there just hasn't been any space for us! To be fair, I know that the clinic has been really busy lately. I have a friend, whose husband is deployed and she can't even get in!

So, last week, I called the hourly care number to get Toby scheduled for his hourly care in October--when I take German--and they politely but firmly told me that I could make the appointments but I needed to understand that I could not check him in until he had the three immunizations that he was supposed to have at 18-months.

I realized that I finally had to branch out and find a doctor on the economy. A friend of mine recommended him. Turns out that he is actually Czech and he loves Americans and the US! We are "private pay" meaning that the doctor will send the whole bill to us, we will pay the entire thing right away, and then submit it to our insurance. However, being private pay, we are kind of treated like royalty. When I called to make the appointment, Toby could have gone in the very next day. I chose to wait until after our Amsterdam trip. When we got there, even though there were at least two other patients (Germans using socialized medicine) ahead of us, we were ushered right into the next exam room.

Toby got two shots yesterday, three immunizations but two of them were combined. I wanted him to get a flu shot too, but the doctor and James "shot" me down on that. Good thing because he has developed a 103 degree fever (if I let the Tylenol and Motrin lapse). I'm going to take both Thomas and Toby in for that and to take care of Thomas' health assessment once Thomas turns six. I don't want to have to dispute Blue Cross Blue Shield about why Thomas had two annual check-ups in the same year!

As a side note, before giving Toby the shots, the doctor explained to us that he was going to give him one in each arm, I think both mine and James' mouths dropped to the ground! But, the doctor was flexible and said he could do it elsewhere. Toby got two shots in the upper buttocks instead! My kids have only ever had them in the upper thigh...but he seems a lot less bothered by the soreness.

The doctor I saw, also gave me his cell phone number in case there is a problem that occurs after hours. My friend said that he has even met them in his office on a Sunday because they were so sick. To me, it's the alternative to "Instacare" since they don't have that here.

In case you are wondering, at 21 months Toby weighs 25.5 pounds and is 33.5 inches tall.

Until later,

Emily

1 comments:

sues2u2 said...

I Love that you were finally able to get in (I caught that it could have been earlier!) & the fact that the Dr is nice helps ever so much!

Poor Toby & his shots. Didn't he run a fever w/ one or more of his other shots? My sister the Skipper's kids all run terrible high fevers too. Wonder why some do & some don't. Hmmmm.

Good luck w/ the flu shot. I have to go get ours. Not too excited about getting Hanae's though!