Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Changes

As we have started to get back to "normal", I have found that I am going to deal with changes to my weekly schedule. Today, I went to the Air Base to sign up for my gym class again. This is a class that I have grown to love. It is a strength training class where I can take Toby. The instructor is a very positive, upbeat person who also has three children of her own. While her oldest is six, she is full of empathy for "those days". It has worked out that everyone whose "baby" is actually a "toddler" brings a small bag of toys, all the kids kind of share, the moms get a workout and the kids have a fun time too. The past two sessions, the class has been on Mondays and Wednesday from 10:30-11:30 AM. I was a bit surprised to find out that it has been switched to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:15-10:15 AM! Actually, the time change will be perfect. I will drop Thomas off at school and just keep on going, 9:15 couldn't be any more perfect as far as that goes and it will be nice to have it "over with" earlier in the morning. The only problem is, my German 2 course is being held also on Thursdays from 9:15-11:45 AM...unfortunately, I can't be at two places at once so I had to make a choice. This was hard, because I have also grown to enjoy my German class, even though I am still horrible! There is always a chance that I can take German 2 in the spring, but I know my retention won't be as good, I also know that the longer I wait, the easier it will be for me to talk myself out of it!

The other change that has occurred is that my German neighbors across the street have decided to send their 6-year old to the same school as Thomas. Simone (the mom) approached me a couple months ago about carpooling, as they were trying to make this decision, as she needs help getting him to and from school on the days that she works. Fortunately, her husband already goes in later to work on those days so he can take the younger son to the German kindergarten (where Tristan had also been attending until two days ago), so Tristan will only have to come over 10 minutes before I usually leave. That is about the time that I am moving the kids toward the front door, getting coats and shoes on, so Tristan will just have to hang out in the entry way with us. In turn, Simone is going to drive and pick up Thomas from school a couple days a week also. It is going to be a change, and I know some days it might be a challenge, but I also think this is going to be wonderful! I'm also excited for Thomas and Tristan to have a chance to get to know each other better. Sadly, they are not in the same class this year, but they have lunch and recess and some activities together. I'm also excited to have a couple days of the week where I don't have to rush out the door, giving Toby a chance to sleep a little extra in the morning or in the afternoon for him to take a nice, long nap--like he did today--3 hours!

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

jlk said...

I always resist changes. My weight watcher meeting is changing its time, and it's throwing me off!

Ana said...

Wait, which class are you dropping? The German one? I am a little jealous of that exercise class. I wish I could find something like that. I do appreciate that our base has a room with a kids area in it, but there aren't any treadmills (which is what I like to use most), and it would be nice to have some direction once in a while. Plus, it's harder to not go to an actual class you paid for than to skip your own workout!