Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gut Feeling

Well, I am as packed as I could ever hope to be, the only things that aren't packed are the things that I will need in the morning. I managed to get everything that we need in three large pieces of luggage! The third one is even about 20 pounds underweight! Unfortunately, I am having to maximize the amount of carry-on luggage because it takes a whole lot to entertain children for roughly 20 hours (from the time we leave my house until the time we arrive at my Grandma Kay's). I am not looking forward to lugging those bags around all day long...

So, everyone is in bed but me. The kids got their baths tonight and I even had enough time to give James a haircut. He just had one about ten days ago, but if he had to wait four more weeks (which is when we will be together again in California), he would be looking pretty "out-of-control".

After everyone went to bed, I got on the computer and I decided to check out the airline website, curious about the plane size and layout. Then, I got a gut feeling that our seat assignments had been messed up. Particularly, that the "Snow" seats were no longer with my mom. I called the airline and got an extremely rude woman (you know the kind where you think, OK, obviously, you HATE your job so it's time to move on now) who wasn't determined not to help me but was going to talk down to me the entire time...she was giving me a hard time because our reservation numbers are not the same so she would only confirm that we were in the seats that I had already said we were in but wouldn't comment at first about my mom's. But when I told her, "look, my mom's name is this......and I believe she is in seat......, and that is not where we want her to be, we want to be all together." I continued, "I know you would have no way of knowing this right off, but I wouldn't have flown her out three days ago just so she could turn around and fly back and not sit by us. She flew here to help me with my children." At this point, there was still no real sign of compassion but at least the total rudeness level was decreased. She was willing to change the seats for a $15 fee and we almost went there until she told me I could do it online by myself or wait until we got to the airport. I hung up with her and moved my mom's seat myself, luckily there was an empty seat on the other side of Thomas!

Boy, am I glad I followed that gut feeling and you better believe that I am going to check on those seat assignments again in the morning!

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the person on the phone name Sheila? It sure sounded like the nasty!!Good luck on your trip. 20 hours....bless you sweetie.
love ya
MLK

jlk said...

Ugh. I hate dealing with airlines. When Mini-me turned two, we went out to Idaho. On the way there, she was not two, but on the way back she was. They wanted me to pay for her ticket, even though she was still the same size and still would sit on my lap. In the end, I did not pay. I am still not sure how that all worked itself out...

Have a great flight and a even greater time in the US of A!

Alison said...

GRRRR! I was getting angry just reading your blog. I totally understand those kind of people. I got a real nice one when I called but I still worry that her info might not be correct. We shall see. GOOD LUCK in your travels! Hope to see you.

Anonymous said...

One time we flew United out to Utah and they had me and the baby together and then J in a single seat---then they have Emma in a single seat on the other side of the plane! Boy they got an ear full but wouldn't change the seating arrangements. Needless to say when the passenger saw that he was going to sit next to a two year old with no parents around he was more then willing to switch with J! I just didn't get it--why they would even think this as acceptable. And the customer service guy was rude about it!J was furious!!!
Anywhow--:) Good luck on your trip.

Emily Snow said...

Angie,

With this situation, it was probably just the computer changing things around. Since we have different last names, there was no way of knowing that we were split up. At least that part of it worked out. The flight was terrible. Toby was as I expected. All I can say is it's a good thing that I don't have to do that flight again for another two months! We're flying to CA in a month, but that's only two hours! I'll blog all about it soon!