Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Did Thomas Go Through a Naked Stage?

Did Thomas go through a naked stage when he was about three years old...I know I was doing fertility treatments by then that did a number on me, but I think I at least dressed my son! However, according to the size 3T clothes that I have in storage, maybe I did not!

A couple of weeks ago, I spent an hour or two in my basement trying to find Thomas' old winter coats, size 3T. Not that Toby is going into 3T, but since I had Thomas where size 3T coats for two years in a row, I thought why not Toby, too? I've since ordered Toby a size 2T coat, still hoping to use the lost coats when I find them next year! (When I says coats, I mean a lighter, everyday one that works well with the car seat and then another puffy marshmallow one that doesn't work with the car seat but keeps him warmer.)

Then, today, I spent a good portion of my afternoon trying to find my size 3T clothes because we have a new family that just moved into our ward that is in need of warm clothes for their kids and household goods. They have a boy that is going into size 3T clothing. The husband is in the army and the army sent the family out, but due to a regulation, did not allow shipment of any of their household goods. All they have is what could fit into their suitcases. Their stuff has been put in storage and it is NOT coming here, ever!

I figured that I could donate some of Thomas' old clothes. I know I still have Toby, but I also know that I have some to spare and of course Toby is going to get some new things as he grows into that age. I felt that I was in a good place to donate a few clothes. No biggie.

So, I started going through my clothes and never could find any great number of size 3. I started to get a little nutty and actually ended taking everything out and doing a really thorough sorting job. There are no more 4T/5T boxes or half-full boxes. There is one LARGE box each for 2T, 4T and 5T and a half box of 3T (and still no coats or snow pants). Then I started counting the shirts, pants, pajamas and I have more sets of pajamas then I do short-sleeve and long-sleeve shirts combined! That just cannot be right. Now I am convinced that there must be another 3T box somewhere.

I have looked almost everywhere in this house for another box. The only place I haven't looked yet is in the crawl space under our stairs, where I keep the Christmas stuff. But I keep thinking, I've been through that stuff, why on earth wouldn't I put a box full of clothing with all the other boxes of clothing? If those 3T clothes are here in Germany with us, that's where they are. If not, they are stored in Virginia or we will never see them again. Things like this really frustrate me!

Until later,

Emily

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is going to drive you nuts until you figure it out isn't it!!
miss you
mlk

sues2u2 said...

Boy, do I understand! I always felt like we were missing things every time we PCS'd. I still feel like that. Hubby & I both feel like we're missing some boxes of books. Maybe there's a "pcs gremlin" somewhere who's kinda like the "missing sock thief"!

Anonymous said...

Do you remember that you gave me some special hair conditioner. Well I spent over two weeks looking for it. I even looked under the beds in case the box fell and was kicked under there. No I found it finally on the side rack of the vanity door in our bathroom. I looked there. You know I sometimes think someone(Gremlins) is play games with us to drive us just a little crazy. Hope you find it soon or figure it is in Virginia with the crib pieces. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

Felicity said...

I have the same issue too. I know the kids wore something, but where it got to, who knows. And yes, I pull everything out too and reorganize it!

Alison said...

It happens to me all the time. I will think I am so on top of organizing my kids clothes...then I cannot find a thing. Then it puts me back in reality that I must not be that organized...BUMMER!

Ana said...

I just went through something like that recently. Although, in my case, I bought the baby new pjs, only to find the missing bag of 12 month clothes replete with four pairs of pjs inside. Good thing they were on sale!

And, yikes, they weren't allowed to move with ANY of their stuff? That's a pretty raw deal. I have heard of something like that happening in Japan, but I thought you could bring everything to Europe. Hmm, something else to worry about if we go overseas next year!

Emily Snow said...

Ana,

Their case was unique. I've never heard of one like it before. No, all the other military folks I know have been able to bring over quite a bit, including one car. These guys also did not get to bring their car!

They were supposed to get to bring 500 pounds of I don't know what it is called in the military, but for us it was air freight. Well, the movers accidently put the air freight in with everything else that was supposed to be stored. So now everything is packed up and sitting in storage. The clothing thing...now that part doesn't make much sense to me because the wife and the two kids have been sitting in the states for a YEAR waiting to get permission to move to Germany...I have no idea why they didn't mail out boxes of clothes through the post office, maybe even MPS...I don't get that part, but it is what it is!

From what I have heard from talking to the wife, the husband joined about two years ago and they have had every bad or "we didn't know that could happen" thing happen to them. She says there is no way that he is going to re-enlist when that time comes!