Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Breaking Things Left and Right!

It has been one of those mornings...first of all, before I continue, Happy Birthday to my dad, who will be turning 57 years young today. I hope his day goes better then mine has so far!

My day started out at 6:30 AM, which was 30 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. I am not a morning person, and I treasure every last minute of sleep so when Toby decided to wake up at 6:30 AM (which is 1-1 1/2 hours before he needs to get up!), I was none too happy.

I quickly retrieved him from his room, hoping not to wake up Thomas. Toby generally wakes up smiley and talkative and in a general good mood, Thomas, however, does not, especially if he is woken up. So, I achieved success with that, Thomas didn't wake up until 7:30 AM, but in the meantime, I brought Toby into mine and James' room and shut the door. He crawled around the bed for a while and searched around the room playing with various items, none that I was too worried about because he and I had spent a good amount of time up there just yesterday, trying to dig myself out of the hole I also have to call my bedroom. Meaning I didn't think there was anything that it would be tragic if he got a hold of it. Of course, he found the one thing, the one thing that was probably up on top of my dresser yesterday, but found it's resting place on my nightstand last night: my glasses! Toby got a hold of them and snapped the earpiece back so fast...it literally took less then two seconds! They are still wearable but when they are not on my face, they look like a pair of glasses with a broken wing. Oh well, I had just told James a few days ago that I was going to get an eye check-up and get some new glasses because it has been eight years since I got a new pair. I really only wear them around the house, but with Toby's slick work, looks like I will be getting new glasses sooner rather than later!

Once Thomas got up, it was a half-hour of nagging him to get dressed. He finally got dressed and it was time to get breakfast. I got his cereal poured and went to get some juice out of the refrigerator. One of the shelves in my fridge door is the dumbest thing...things fall out of it all the time and we've had some really close calls with breaking things. One time a full bottle of boysenberry syrup fell out and broke, today, I ran out of luck again when a large, full bottle of Texas Pete's hot sauce fell out and shattered all over! You better believe I let one of the "sh"-bombs out (as in sh*t!)I had red-orange liquid all over and shattered glass everywhere with Toby trying to get in on all the excitement. At this point, James was headed out the door, and wisely decided to stick around and help me with the situation (thanks!). He whisked Toby away but in the meantime, Thomas, who should have been eating, started in on me, saying things that I know he hears from me all of the time; "Mom, you should be more careful!", "Mom, that's a big mess, now you're going to have to clean that up!" things like that...at which point I lost it and let the other "sh"-bomb that is not allowed in our house, that would be a big SHUT-UP THOMAS! I know, so Hallmark movie moment of me!

I got the mess cleaned up the best I could, I now have a lovely orange stain on my wall, that I'm almost positive will not come out. Our walls are painted with basically white matte paint and underneath that is wall-paper like material. I bought some bleach cleaner, but I'm not too hopeful about the situation.

Thank goodness all mornings aren't like this!

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, we have similar lives!! My story would have been the brand new gallon of milk all over. I can't imagine the glass and hot sauce involved...I would have dropped more bombs than you. You are so good.
I hope things ended up on a better note than it started!
love ya
mlk

Anonymous said...

What a way to start the day. I hope it got better. Some days one just wishes they could go back to bed and put the covers over your head. I will talk to you later when your Dad gets in. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

sues2u2 said...

Oh, Emily. What a mess. I broke a glass bottle of apple cider vinegar all over my tile floor in the pantry. Every time I opened the door for months I was almost overwhelmed! At least there was no stain for me. I think a little more than the "sh" bomb excaped me! (Look for kilz. They should have it even over there)

Thank heavens we're not on reality tv, eh?

jlk said...

Yikes! What a day. Try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. That stuff can take any stain away (just don't rub too hard, or you'll take the paint off).

Life in Maryland said...

These are days I drop everthing, go back upstairs and go back to bed. I know that's not an easy for you, but maybe a nice pedicure :)