Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh, What a Night!

I was ever-hopeful to send Thomas to school today. Yesterday was rather uneventful until the evening when a mild fever (100 degrees) crept up on him. Even still, I was optimistic. I got him ready for bed, set out his clothes and school bags and prepared to send him to school. After all, I haven't gone to the commissary, mailroom, or really anywhere else in nearly a week! However, at about 2 AM I heard him calling for me. He made it to the toilet and was throwing up. After a while, he said he felt better and wanted to go back to sleep. I got him a little drink and sent him on his way.


Have I mentioned I also have an earache? It's a doozy. Actually, if I really think about it, I feel overall lousy myself but the earache kind of overpowers everything else that is going on with me. Well, at about 5 AM, I heard Toby crying. Wonderful. I went in his room but he was just standing there crying, at least he wasn't throwing up. I scooped him up and brought him to bed with me. He still seemed tired, but had a hard time finding a comfy spot, I guess. After about an hour of tossing and turning and him butting his head right into my head several times, I had had enough. He went back into his bed, I gave him a sippy cup full of milk and he seemed to be all right with that. By this time, my ear and face are pounding so I went downstairs to retrieve some Motrin. Then, Toby is crying again, and he has downed his milk and wants more. Fine. I found some ear drops and cotton and my brand-new 220-volt heating pad (thanks, Mom!) and quickly felt some pain relief and dozed right off.

But, wouldn't you know it, within mere minutes, I was awakened by the words, "Mom! What do I do? I need to go poop and throw up!" Oh geez. I tried to find his "pukey pan" that was supposed to be by Thomas' pillow but it was no where to be found! So I raced downstairs and got him a bowl. And sure, enough, it was needed. Great, another sick day. No sense in my alarm clock going off at 7 AM, I may as well sleep as long as the kids do. So we all settled back in when I hear the phone ring at 7:30 AM! It was one of Thomas' room mothers...she was calling to tell me that "due to the snow" school is cancelled. I had no idea! This is what it looks like outside, and it's still coming down! It never snowed like this last year!









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you and Thomas are still sick. I am hoping Toby and James stays well. It looks like home is the best place for you today with all that snow. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

jlk said...

Poor mom!! Kids illnesses seem to linger, don't they? But, thank goodness for the times they make it to the bathroom.

That snow is gorgeous! I am totally ready for some. It's just been cold here with a few flurries now and then.

sues2u2 said...

Doesn't sound like fun. I'm sorry that you're all sick. Hope you feel better soon!

The snow looks beautiful. I love the photos you've been taking recently. Wonderful.