Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Break Here We Come!

Tomorrow is Thomas' last day of school in 2008.  He is getting excited for Christmas, even though there are no gifts under the tree.  I have to get wrapping!  But, I'm still not going to put them under the tree until December 24th.  I finally got around to hanging the stockings tonight.  This year it would not be wise nor safe to hang them "by the chimney with care" due to our Toby. Which also explains why less than half of our Christmas tree is decorated this year.  He is quite the kid, have I mentioned that before? I think maybe I have... Back to the stockings...my stocking holders could possibly kill him if he tugged on a stocking and one of the holders came tumbling down. So they are on some of my wall shelves instead.  I decided to keep the Christmas decorating to a minimum this year.  With the kids being sick, and me getting sick, I have honestly only felt like I am getting back in my game just this week and even with that, I am barely breathing!  There are no Christmas cards, not even a Christmas picture.  I was even thinking of not making Christmas sugar cookies but both James and Thomas hit me up on that one, separately, today...so I guess I'll do cookies this weekend! But definitely not a quadruple batch as I have been known to make...probably only a double batch! Oh, and "Sweet Stuff" with green and red M&M's but that is super-easy.  I am looking forward to not having to drive Thomas to and from school for the next two weeks.  The days are really short here in Germany right now and it is still quite dark when we leave at 8:25 AM (dark enough that you need them to see, not just to be seen) and when I leave the house at 2:55 PM to pick him up, the headlights have to go on because it is already dusk. Not that that has much to do with why I am glad to have a break from driving Thomas to and from school, but I thought I would mention how short the days and long the nights are here.  Hard to believe that in another six months I will be complaining about how it gets light before 6 AM and not dark until almost 10 PM!


Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know the more you put out, the more you have to put away. Emily as you know I love to decorate but I hate the putting away. This year was harder for me to get the out door and inside stuff going, I knew I was making myself jobs to do come January. I have finally sent your Christmas card, I have only sent you 11 or 12 boxes I could have put it in. No that would have been too easy. Hug the boys and I will talk to you tomorrow. Love Always Mom

The Mendon Welkers said...

Don't feel bad. I didn't do Christmas cards either. It's just ONE MORE THING!!!! I had a good excuse last year with a new colicie baby....I'm not sure what my excuse is this year accept a busy life!
I too get two weeks off for the break and I can't wait! Today is my last day at work. We are going to sunny Arizona for a week....so sad I will miss the snow! Have a Merry Christmas!!!!!

Edwin and Rebecca said...

Callie accidentally tugged on her stocking and the heavy stocking holder came down right on her eye and cut her eyelid. We iced it and had to use an old pic from the summer for christmas pics this year. Those are deadly little weapons.

I hope you feel better. Been thinking of you!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Like your mom, I too like to decorate but this year because of J I have limited my decorating. All my very special ornaments were left off the tree and only durable ones put out. I've been pretty lucky though, J has only pulled one strand of lights down and a couple bows. Oh yeah, and one candy cane was used as a hammer but other than that no major damages. You have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year... Love Aunt Barbie

Anonymous said...

I think everyone is decorating less this year. I have about 10 totes and only pulled half!!
Same with Fall stuff. Well I only have two fall items and didn't do a thing!! Fall m&m's are decoration right?
Michelle