Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Happy Holiday!

Today is an official German holiday. It seems strange to be living in a country where they are celebrating a day that really doesn't mean anything to me. It is relatively early in the day and it is raining (big surprise) so I haven't seen much "celebrating" but I have noticed that all my neighbor's cars are still here. However, last night, I noticed that the park located next to our house was hopping. Like on a Sunday. Then, late last night there were plenty of screaming teenagers living it up and having a great time at the park. I had to laugh last week while attending the "Welcome to Germany" workshop when we were told the legal age for drinking here is 16 but the legal smoking age is 18. Seriously. I suspect there might be a 11 PM curfew though because the screaming and laughing ended promptly at that time.

I searched the web , and cut-n-pasted, a short explanation of the holiday for all of you. Whoever thought that I would attempt a history lesson (this is usually James' territory). Of course, my explanation is much shorter and simpler than his would be, I am sure.

Day of German Unity (Tag der Deutschen Einheit) - October 3 This official German holiday commemorates Germany's reunification in 1990, when East and West Germany once again became one country known as die Bundesrepublik Deutschland (the Federal Republic of Germany). The date reflects the signing of the reunification treaty rather than the actual date of the 1989 opening of the Berlin Wall(November 9). Unfortunately, November 9th is also the date of another event in German history, Kristallnacht or the Night of Broken Glass, when Jewish synagogues and shops were attacked and store windows of Jewish-owned stores were smashed in 1938. So now October 3 is Germany's national holiday.

But, today is basically a normal day for us in the Snow household. Thomas has preschool this afternoon (but not on Friday or next Monday because Friday is a DOD "training day" which is conveniently next to the weekend and Columbus Day) and I will be shopping at the PX and commissary with Toby while Thomas is at school.

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Oktober, and we only have birthdays and Halloween in our family to celebrate in October. I am starting to see a pattern of your weather, at least 3 to 4 days a week of rain I can see on my weather site. I knew I found the perfect birthday gift for you, RAINCOAT. Take care and I will see or talk to you tomorrow. Give the boys a hug and take care. Love Always Mom 6:40 a.m.

Anonymous said...

I wished alot of people Happy Oktober today at Halls. Then I gave them your history lesson. Talk to you in morning. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom 7:45 p.m.