Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Taking a Break...

I'm taking a break from unpacking. We received our HHE shipment on Friday. We were ready by 8 AM, thinking that they would surely arrive sometime between 8-10 AM. Well, 10:30 AM arrived, and James got on the phone to find out what was going on, they then told him it would be about noon. So we were a little irritated about wasting the whole morning (and wishing that James could have gone into work for at least half a day since they only give him 16 hours off to take care of unpacking) but we waited, until 3 PM! Now, as I mentioned last week, our shipment is HUGE. We knew we were in for a long night. It took four guys 6 1/2 hours to unload our shipment and assemble the furniture. Technically, they were supposed to stay and unpack the boxes but there was no way that was happening.

After the moving crew left, we discovered that they hooked our bed frame onto Thomas' headboard and footboard. However, that couldn't be remedied easily because we couldn't find our tool box! We slept on mattresses that night, which was much better than the hardwood floors that we slept on the night before (and I could devote quite a few postings to the fact that I ABSOLUTELY HATE the hardwood floors and tile in my house--more than I EVER imagined--but I won't). We already knew our bed couldn't be put together because we were missing parts. The crew back in MD kindly put all the "parts" in one box so it would be easy to assemble our furniture again but, you guessed it--that box is missing. We have looked and looked and it is nowhere! I have a strong suspicion that it's with our long-term storage now in Virginia. So, we have gone on a couple of shopping trips to find new parts, and luckily everything is together now.

Now we have boxes and boxes to go through. I know people who say they actually like moving. I do not belong to this club! Unpacking our things is a nightmare to me! It's going to take a long while before we can go through everything. German homes do not have closets. We are glad to have a fairly large basement and will probably be buying lots of storage shelving to go down there.

And, my natural instinct to just start throwing away things doesn't work either! Recycle! Recycle! Recycle! I often wonder if we will recycle when we return to the states--after living here, we will certainly be proficient! And for any of you that might be wondering what we're going to do with the 200 boxes in our house--the moving company will come out ONE TIME and get them so for now, our back yard is filled with broken down boxes and many others that are filled with packing paper. I hope my neighbors remain patient.

Until later,

Emily

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear, Dear Emily
I so remember those moves. Believe me, there were times during our dozen moves all over the world that a box that arrived packed was never opened -- over more than one move. At the ripe old age I have finally achieved the morale to that is THROW IT OUT!! I have come to believe my oldest daughter's theory -- if you don't use it in 6 months you don't need it. (Unless you live in a 2 season location -- might need to extend that to 8 months)
I know I keep telling you this will all be so funny in the future.
Patience is a virtue -- try to remember. Give the boys a hug and you two hug each other for me. Love ya -- Gert

Anonymous said...

Good Morning my time, Good Afternoon your time. I have been thinking and I can remember THAT BOX in the house the nights I was cleaning carpets. I am sure you will find it on your return. Emily just take it one box at a time you will get it done someday. At least they are some what labeled so you know what is inside. Just think if they were all blank. I am glad you were able to find the parts for the beds. You may find you get to recycle back in MD we have the blue cans in Cache County although Grandma K does not we do. By the way it's past time to call her. Love Always Mom 7:40 a.m.

Anonymous said...

Emily, Grandma K also has to bag up all her garden stuff,leaves,vines,tomatoes, peaches, pears etc. Just thing how many Walmart bags she fills every day, that is Mom's main morning event to clean under the trees. I just pile my garden and burn. Layton can't burn any more. Got to go again Tuesday and going to Halls, still need to do breakfast. Kiss the boys and have a Diet Lime Coke break. Love Always Mom

Emily Snow said...

We had to start doing the yard waste recycling in our neighborhood this past year. The other recycling was still optional, but I will admit we were among the minority. Most people did it.

Emily Snow said...

I look forward to the day when I can look back and laugh at this experience or at least think that it was a good one...

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh with the visual of the boxes!! I am surprised that forts aren't all over your home. I miss you!!!