Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Thomas Turned Five Today!

At 1:23 this morning Thomas turned five! I can't believe our firstborn is already this old! And, I can't believe James and I have been parents for five years, it seems like we are so "new" to parenthood still. Anyways, I don't know why, but I feel like "5" is an important birthday...

I found a loose picture in one of our boxes Monday night, perfectly enough it was of James holding only hours-old Thomas. Thomas was tightly swaddled in what we refer to as the "baby burrito" and James was holding the newspaper that was printed that day, which was titled, "Thank God It's Over". Great title to refer to when any pregnancy is over, I think. But, you see, this title and picture will always hold two meanings for us because Thomas was born the very same day and in the very same county that the "DC Sniper Shooters" were finally caught. I will never forget this. And I will always be thankful that nothing happened to me during those last days of my pregnancy, because they later admitted that a pregnant woman was one of their next planned victims.

Well, fast forward five years later--Thomas ran into our bedroom this morning at 6:30. James was showering so I was able to hold him off until about 7:10. We got him a Kettcar which is like a go-cart that you peddle. Both grandparents gave him "Cars" race tracks. I got the privilege of setting up the "Radiator Springs Mountain Challenge" track this morning for about two hours. It has far too many pieces and I can only blame myself because I am the one that physically purchased the track! He got some new brown loafers and a deluxe set of wonder colors art supplies. I suspect that there will be some sweatpants arriving from Old Navy today as well.

We are leaving for preschool in just minutes where he will have a small celebration during snack time. After I drop him off, and before I go back to help with the celebration, I have to run to the bakery to pick up his birthday cake for tonight. I ordered him a Lightening McQueen cake and he has no idea. Although, he does seem a bit worried today that I haven't baked his cake yet. He's going to be surprised and he loves "bakery" cake just as much as I do (and my mom does!) so he's going to love it. We're having another family over tonight for cake and ice cream at 7:00.

I will try to post pictures later on. I used the camcorder this morning, but I can't post any of that because we use our real names on that.

Until later,

Emily

4 comments:

jlk said...

Happy Birthday, Thomas! Mini-me misses you. Hope your day is great.

Anonymous said...

I remember that day 5 years ago too. I remember how worried we all were about the snipers, where that hit last compared to where you live. Its hard to believe that those five years have gone by so very quickly. Wishing Thomas a Happy Birthday. I will Skype later when Kurt and your Dad are back in. Hug birthday boy and the scooter for me. Take care Love Always Mom 6;30 a.m. Wednesday

DanceNplay said...

I am a stranger! No worries though. If JLK knows me, then you're safe. It's okay mom.
Happy birthday to your boy! May it be a great one!

Anonymous said...

five is an important birthday -- the tween tweens one. Thomas has grown so much and is a very handsome fellow (that comes from being from good stock). Although it is tomorrow there, it is still tonight here, and I wanted to tell Thomas HAPPY BIRTHDAY before I fall into the recliner and pretend to watch game 1 of the series. My team didn't make it so I will be an impartial observer. One great grandson is a Rockies fan the other a Reds fan, so I win either way. Hugs to all. Love Gert