Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Social Worker vs. Mom

Yesterday, Sheila asked a lot of questions about Toby's daily activity. A lot of the things that he probably "should" be more proficient at are because I am not giving him the opportunities such as:

1. "Is he able to feed himself with a fork and a spoon?" At this point in his life, he feeds himself almost entirely with his hands--because he eats mainly finger foods. Toby will still eat 2 or 3 jars of baby food during each meal, too. A fact that I could tell boggled Sheila's mind (you STILL feed him baby food?) I feed him finger food/table food first, finishing up with the baby food. There's NO WAY that I'm handing him the spoon to feed himself and also, I am taking advantage of the fact that I can still get lots of good fruits and veggies in him by feeding him the baby food. I also felt compelled to tell her that, sure I could let him have his finger food/table food until he started throwing it on the floor (which he is really good at) and let him down, but he'd be back for more 1 to 1 1/2 hours later OR I can continue to feed him baby food and we go about 4-5 hours! It works for me!

2. "When you hand Toby a crayon, does he just draw lines (as he was doing at the exact moment) or can he scribble too?" Honestly? I don't give Toby crayons if I can help it! Why? Well, the top of my toy box tells it all! I guess he can scribble...and well! And I don't like it! And if he's not scribbling on things that should not be scribbled on...he's breaking them or eating the tops off. Crayons and Toby...he's not ready...and neither am I!

3. "Does he try to dress and undress himself?" I was able to answer honestly that he does try to dress himself or at least he mimics it and he does help me by pushing his arms through the arm holes and giving me his feet for the shoes and socks. Then she got more specific about the undressing part, asking "Well, does he try to at least take his shoes and socks off?" I pointed right at the Robeez and told her, those things are made so they can't be taken off easily by a toddler, that's the point of them! Now that I think of it, if I don't have the Robeez on Toby, he does always pull his socks off (why didn't I remember it that yesterday?!). We call him the "one-sock wonder".

Until later,

Emily

7 comments:

sues2u2 said...

lol!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would have felt that I was on a quiz show with all of those questions! You did a great job on responses. I swear sometimes I think they ask questions like.."can they take the cap off of an aspirin bottle?" Ummm, no because we keep those things away...but they have a way of making you feel like your child should be able to take the cap off and why didn't I have them try? I could go on with the silly nature of social workers vs. good Mom's!!
love ya
mlk

Anonymous said...

Social workers are so "book oriented" they have no sense of real life, so just keep on doing what you are comfortable with, is my unsolicited opinion. There are more important things in life than properly filling in the "appropriate squares".
Well, enough, I am NOT having fun with my left hand hunt and peck, but at least, hopefully the bread is healing. Love to all. Gert

Alison said...

Do you have to be asset by this lady? I never took my kids back to their "NICU check-ups" after the first cause they were asking and telling me unrealistic things. Like do they know how to put shapes in those shape balls...the ones we didn't own so NO! Like the crayon thing...I don't give my kids crayons either. My walls are proof of why not. I fed my kids cause I didn't like cleaning it off of everything after. So chalk it up that Thomas is doing great and so will Toby...ignore the "social worker!"

Ana said...

DRESSING himself? Eesh, my three year old is still mastering this - and we didn't really start pushing it until a few months ago. Yes, it was just easier to do it myself, but finally I decided he was really old enough and should be doing a lot more himself. Toby looks like a baby still! Sigh, I hate it when people start stuff like this; makes me wonder if I'm keeping my sons back by letting it be a little easy on me for a bit. I can totally relate to this.

Anonymous said...

I have witness Mr. Toby for six full days. I can honestly say he is a perfectly normal little boy. He is so very close to walking on his own any day he is going to take off. Like his big brother once he starts something he will just get faster and faster at it. Hug my very perfect grandsons. Take care. Talk to you tomorrow. Love Always Mom

Life in Maryland said...

Ok, I know I don't have kids, but still, I have never been a fan of "well, your child should be doing this by 6 mos. 4 days and 10 hrs, if not, then they need therapy!" ... Anyway, you just keep doing the excellent job you are doing! You have GREAT kids and we miss them!