Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Friday, April 4, 2008

There's Always "Plan B"...

Thomas had his first soccer practice on Wednesday. You may recall that I arranged to have Thomas and his best friend at preschool, R, on the same team. Well, we arrived at practice and R and his mom never showed up. I asked our coach if R was on the team roster, and he was not. The lady over the program happened to be there that day with the all the team lists and sure enough...R is now on another team! I explained to her that we signed them up together and were assured that they would be on the same team...she explained to me that they were probably on the same team but then maybe teams were added and in the end, the computer selected R for one team and Thomas for another. In the meantime, Thomas was cautiously practicing but wondering where his friend was.

By the end of the practice, Thomas was having a great time. R will actually practice on the same field as Thomas at the same time, so they will see each other. Games will also be on the same field at around the same time (Fridays). And, yes, they will play against each other! The two of them will be coming from preschool at 4:00 (practice is at 5:15), so R's mom and I have decided that we'll just let them have some warm up time together.

I was also planning on starting something new this morning. I was all signed up for German lessons on Friday mornings from 9-12. I had arranged to have my kids go to the daycare on the base from 8:30-12:30 for the next eight weeks. I was surprised yesterday to get a call from the instructor, informing me that the class had to be cancelled because only three people signed up and that wasn't enough to hold the class.

Part of our perks for moving out here is that, I, as the spouse get an incredible amount of money to use towards language training. I can also use that money to pay for the daycare (while I am taking that language training). The catch is that I have to start tapping into it during the first year or it will be lost. Which means, I have to start taking classes by August 9, 2008! Hmm, and I'm not exactly going to be around this summer to take German... I am hoping something will work out...that an exception can be made and I can hold off on taking German until next fall since I have the invoice that proves I had intended on taking it this spring. There is also an option to take a "crash course" in May for 10 days, but I am not too excited about that. James is going to talk to the people that are in charge and we'll go from there!

Until later,

Emily

0 comments: