Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, December 17, 2007

ALWAYS Read Your Labels!

Yesterday, I quickly whipped up a pan of pork enchiladas before flying off to church...James stayed home with the kids because Thomas has had a bad sore throat and cough (he also stayed home from preschool on Friday) and Toby stayed behind because it was my Sunday to teach. Anyways, I thought this would actually work out all right because James could put the enchiladas in the oven right around the time that church got out and we could have dinner earlier. And, everything did go as planned...until we bit into the enchiladas. The last time I made them, I made them with green sauce, so this time I made them with red sauce. I should clarify that I don't make homemade sauce, I use the canned kind. I like spicy hot food and these were pretty spicy. I took a second bite thinking that maybe I just got a heavily doused green Tabasco piece (I generally "pepper" my food with it because I like my food spicier than James), but the second bite seemed even hotter! I dug the can out of the Gelbe sack and wouldn't you know it--I had picked up HOT enchilada sauce! The label for the MEDIUM and the HOT red enchilada sauce looks exactly the same except for the words medium and hot. James added more sour creme to his piece, but he didn't have seconds and I can safely say that we will not be eating the leftovers for tomorrow's dinner. But, I'll eat them for lunch!

Until later,

Emily

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That should have killed the cold germs that you might have got from Thomas. Hug the boys Take care Love Always Mom

Anonymous said...

Hot "tamales"!
You have taken a page from my overused and least favorite book -- buying by; the familiarity of the lable. I'm sorry the meal wasn't what you expected, but bet your sinus got cleared.
Jeanine's youngsters are fighting pikn eye and colds -- the baby started the pink eye circle, then Chris, now Peter -- working its way up to the oldest, I guess. To top it off Jeanine managed to find a sore throat no one else was using and has managed, probably through breast milk to Jacob, so another series can begin. Hopefully all this stuff will be gone by the end of the year and 2008 will start off with a clean slate.
My knee is healing much faster than I feared, and I am walking with a cane in the house. Still very uncertain of myself, but living with only the puppy to rescue me if I fall, I am careful and so far lucky.
Been reading the blog and enjoying the pictures and comments, but don't feel too much like sitting at the computer for any length of time.
Love and hugs to all. Love, Gert

Life in Maryland said...

I must say, I'm with you, I love hot and spicy! The hotter the better! I always order the hot chipotle sauce, but that does sound pretty hot to me! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes these silly mistakes!