Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, December 27, 2007

One Year Ago Today...

It was exactly one year ago today that I found myself, while vacationing in Utah for the Christmas season, admitted to the hospital for preterm labor. I had over eight weeks to go and was already dilated to a 3+. The hospital that I went to wasn't equipped to take care of that early of a baby, so they called one of the bigger Salt Lake hospitals and told them of my situation and that if I went any further they'd transfer me by ambulance. The doctors gave me a drug to stop the contractions, but that one didn't work, I was having regular contractions, so they tried another one, which made me feel really funny. However, this one worked. They also administered the first of two hormone shots that would develop Toby's lungs. I ended up spending most of that day (Wednesday), that night and most of Thursday in the hospital (I came home Thursday night). I got the second shot for Toby's lungs and was sent home with pills to take any time I felt a contraction or what I felt could be contraction. I hoped to make it another six weeks, but I was confident that I could hang on for at least another month...after all, I had Thomas on his due date...

My hospital stay was sandwiched between Instacare visits for James on Christmas Eve Day for one of those sore throat-aches-n-pain illnesses and one for Thomas on New Year's Eve for an ear infection.

There's just no better way to say it--2006 was a hell of a Christmas holiday!

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all remember it well too. I remember the phone call from James saying you were in the hospital and the weather was horrible, snowing. Now looking back that stay in the hospital gave Toby a better chance when he was born, his lungs were ready for birth, he just had to grow. We were so very blessed. They say things happen for a reason. That trip to the hospital made a big different in how Toby life began and how much time he stayed in the hospital. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom

DanceNplay said...

We always get sick when we go to Utah. Prince got his first bad ear infection there and the other time he had horrible(and I mean 30-35 diaper changes a DAY) diahrea. We are regular visitors at the Cottonwood Hospital Emergency room! it's crazy how time fly's by so quickly.