Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Conversing with Thomas

A couple nights ago, we were having our usual bedtime battle with Thomas. He is very skilled at drawing out the process and James and I get quite frustrated. A new tactic entered my mind: I could pull out the ol' "Santa trick". The one where you say, "Remember, Santa is watching and he's trying to decide if you're naughty or nice." It caught Thomas' interest and he wanted to know what if Santa decided he was naughty. I told him he wouldn't get any presents...he'd get coal in his stocking instead. I asked him if that would be any fun (thinking, yes, now I have him!). Thomas gets this serious look on his face (again, yes, I have him), then his face lit up, his big blue eyes got bigger, and he replied, "Yes, it would be fun to have coal and a train!"

I gave up.

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a boy! He's no dummy. Thomas knows that trains and coal go together so he is sure of one gift. Have you tried the timer trick? Hug the boys and Take care Love Always Mom

jlk said...

We tell the girls that Santa will give them reindeer poop if they're naughty. That, and I have elf sightings all month long. It's very funny.

Angie said...

Cute Story--Annoyingly Tonight one of the missionaries here told my girls that his dad is Santa and that it was a secret--well, Emma says- " I'm going to tell my friends at school that Elder So n So's dad is Santa"----I'm like thinking "oh no" she'll say that and then it would just happen to be a big kid to reveal something that I don't want him or her to....(You know what I mean....) and she's to young for that...I had to clarity to her that His DAD is Santa's helper....:)It was really annoying because she kept on insisting.... You know I like the reindeer poop story...

Life in Maryland said...

I tried that with Rachel a few years ago - I told her that if she was not good, she would not get many Christmas presents ... well, she told me that the year prior she tried that, and was not good, but still got alot of presents ... so there. I gave up too ...

Anonymous said...

You should buy an elf and put it around the house and say it is magic and reports behavior...if that doesn't scare him nothing will!! hee hee
mlk