Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Stairs and One-Year Old's Don't Mix!

First of all,

Toby is fine.

However, the little boy that is six weeks older in our ward is not. Apparently, he had a big fall last night, probably scared his mother half to death, had a bump on his head and a good cry but he seemed fine. This morning, he fell down the stairs again and fell on the same spot on his head. He'll be in the German hospital for at least two nights and they are worried about blood on the brain. Of course, his dad is gone on a work trip so his mom is there by herself...but not really, all the RS sisters are rallying around her and she'll be taken care of. He has a 3-year old sister that looks like will have some sleepovers. And you know the food will come pouring in once they are home... James is one of the Home Teachers so he and his HT partner will go over tonight and give D a blessing.

If this has you wondering about our own stairs, or rather our own safety gates, after three months of regular nagging, ordering various parts from the States, spending a small fortune, only to find out that the things I ordered weren't quite right, which required a trip to the local Hornbach's (Home Depot) to buy one more supply-- the gate blocking my stairs was FINALLY installed on Saturday, all the while I could tell James thought it might have been a waste of his time. (I'm still hoping to get a gate at the top of the stairs, but until I do Toby is only upstairs to sleep or bathe or we shut a door to whatever room we're in so he is safe.) I had a pressurized gate up at the foot of our stairs for some time. Last Thursday, Toby discovered that if he put his weight into it, he could knock it down eventually. And he did--twice--and then attempted to climb over the gate to get to the banned stairs! (Can I say, "What a kid!, What a kid!" again!) Basically, I informed James, that there were no excuses left, we had all the parts and materials and the only thing that he needed to do on Saturday was install the thing! Then, something like this happens, and you know the first thing that came out of his (James) mouth: "I'm glad I got our gate put up."...well, I am too. It's not like falling down the stairs is contagious...but isn't that how we all think when something like this happens to someone you can totally relate to?

Thoughts and prayers with D and his family.

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

sues2u2 said...

Wow! I hope that this boy will be okay. One of my kids took a little tumble down & it freaked me out. It was also on carpeted stairs. I can only imagine how the poor parents feel. I too, am glad that your gate has been installed!

Anonymous said...

They will be in our prayers... I am glad you got your gates up.
mlk