Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, March 20, 2008

When Brand Names Do Matter!

I was looking over some of my older posts, and realized that I never followed-up on one of my follow-ups!

You might remember that I got a new camera for Christmas. I have a Sony Cyber-shot with 8.1 megapixels. I was really excited to have a new camera but started having problems with the pictures or rather, the memory stick almost right away. I bought a second memory stick, hoping that I just got unlucky and bought a faulty stick. Within a week, the second stick was doing the same thing as the first. The store warranty was up on the camera and I was really worried that I was going to have to start dealing with Sony and send my camera in for a repair.

I started looking at Sony's site, which is really well-done and noticed that there was a mention of the Cyber-shot's being very sensitive and that they recommend only using Sony brand memory sticks. There was also a mention of "counterfeit" Sony memory sticks problem going on right now, but that didn't pertain to me. I had, knowingly, gone out not once, but twice, and bought a non-Sony memory stick "to save money". Well, this time, it blew up in my face, two memory sticks later, over $80 later, with a lot of cute pictures lost forever, I bought a Sony brand memory stick and haven't had one single problem!

I think it is probably safe to say, that when it comes to digital cameras, whether I buy a Sony or not, I will probably always buy the brand-specific item from now on!

Until later,

Emily

P.S. Now that the memory stick problem is solved, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the camera!

0 comments: