Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Sunday, March 2, 2008

We Have a "Cry Room"?

Toby has entered that time in life where he is extremely difficult to handle in church. Well, if it would be acceptable to let him crawl all around the chapel he wouldn't be hard...but, that's not the way it works in church!

So, today, I found myself spending most of the time in the hall with him. I have to admit I do find myself wishing that he could walk on Sundays, because I don't like the thought of his little hands on that floor, so I try to keep him in my arms. But, carrying around a 26+ pound baby after a while does start to make my arms literally burn so there came a time today where I had to let him go. For about five minutes and then I scooped him up again!

Sacrament Meeting was nearly over, about ten minutes to go, when another mom/friend came out in the hallway with her two-year-old that had had it and she started walking down the hallway, when she stopped dead in her tracks and came back to me and said, "You do know we have a cry room, here, don't you?" NO! I didn't know! So, I quickly followed her into what is actually used as our Relief Society room but they have the chapel piped in during Sacrament Meeting...so nice... and there were two other moms (besides my friend and I). I gave my friend a hug--she probably thought I was nuts--but it was such a relief for me to realize that there is and will be a better place for us while Toby is in this hard stage! In other words, I will probably be hanging out in the "Cry Room" for the next year to year and a half of my life...

Until later,

Emily

4 comments:

Alison said...

Yeah, don't you wish they had nursery during sacrament meeting and that you can take them there when they start staying awake longer!!

Anonymous said...

Emily in St. Rose in Layton they have always had a glass front cry room, it was in the wing. It was small held maybe 20 or so people. Parents could still see and hear mass. In every Catholic church I have been in there is always been that kind of Cry Room. Hug the boys. Take care. Love Always Mom

Anonymous said...

I remember those days!! I had the nasty old mother's lounge with rickety rocking chairs and the aroma of dirty diapers. I didn't know what was worse...a crying baby or that room I seemed to be in every week!!
Come on nursery age.
love ya
mlk

Emily Snow said...

I guess there was a Mother's Lounge in the Frederick Stake...but I never went in it. Not once. That building is big enough to walk the halls and sit on the couches in the foyer. In our building, here, there is one hall. So, our "Cry Room" is also the Mother's Lounge but since it is used for classes the other almost two-hours of our block, there is nothing there that would let you know that it is used that way!