Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, February 11, 2008

Moms Can Do It!

I received this in an email yesterday:

The Mom Test

I was out walking with my 4 year old daughter. She picked up something off
the ground and started to put it in her mouth. I took the item away from her
and I asked her not to do that. 'Why?' my daughter asked. 'Because it's been on the ground, you don't know where it's been,it's dirty, and probably has germs' I replied. At this point, my daughter looked at me with total admiration and asked, 'Momma, how do you know all this stuff, you are so smart.' I was thinking quickly. 'All moms know this stuff. It's on the Mom Test. You have to know it, or they don't let you be a Mom.' We walked along in silence for 2 or 3 minutes, but she was evidently pondering this new information. 'OH...I get it!' she beamed, 'So if you don't pass the test you have to be the dad. ''Exactly' I replied back with a big smile on my face.


Yesterday afternoon, as we were driving home from church, Thomas, in a way, supported this very idea. James and I were talking about how this week, in my ward, on Wednesday morning, we are having some sort of a cake decorating/buttercream frosting demo but we have to bring our own small 8" round because the girl teaching wants us to have hands-on experience, not just watch. James asked how I was going to be able to do that with Toby (it's at someone's house who doesn't have a little one that can't do stairs--so I have to keep my eye on him at all times or hold him), and before I could even answer that I would have to do the best I could and more than likely wouldn't get that much hands-on experience, Thomas piped in and said, "Mom can do it, she can do lots of things all at the same time!" At that exact moment, I looked back at Thomas and while he was talking to his dad, he was looking at me with the proudest look upon his face! Thanks, Thomas!

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

sues2u2 said...

Awww. That's the best validation you could ever get! Way to go, Thomas.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful moment to know Thomas knew his Mom is a super multi tasker Mom. "She can do it she can do anything" Thomas is right you are a special Mom. Hug the boys and take care Love Always Mom

Alison said...

Oh, he is so cute. That made me cry! That is why being a mom is so WONDERFUL!!!

Life in Maryland said...

Now that's a GREAT kid!!! Good Job Thomas!

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouth of babes!! No wonder he was accepted to go to that school!!
mlk