Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, February 18, 2008

President's Day Weekend Trip to Rothenburg, Germany





We had originally hoped to go on a four-day trip to London. However, because James found out he would have to go into work on the 15th, even though he had the day off approved, we scratched that idea and decided to stay somewhere local. The trip was really spur-of-the-moment, we didn't book our hotel until Friday night and didn't pack until Saturday morning. The drive didn't end up being as long as we assumed, it only took about two hours to drive it.

Rothenburg is probably the most popular city located along the "Romantic Road", although I know when I think back to this trip I will not think of it as romantic, or anything close! Rothenburg is a city with a wall built all around it and only one road that takes you into the city and out. It was neat to walk around and it was not at all crowded. It was MUCH colder than we had hoped and the first night in our hotel room, the heaters couldn't heat the room warm enough so we were uncomfortable (the owner gave us a space-heater for the second night after we told him that we had been cold). Unfortunately, Toby has a cold and he was up both nights.

Our hotel was a small hotel, (I would consider it more like a Bed & Breakfast in the States) but that's the way all the hotels are in Rothenburg. We got a traditional German breakfast served to us both mornings, which consisted of a variety of rolls, cheeses, meats, eggs cooked-to-order, our choice of hot chocolate, tea or coffee, cereal and fruit. It seemed like more of a lunch to us, because of the lack of something sweet, but it was tasty! For more about our hotel, see the post below this one!

Our kids were really good considering the fact that Toby doesn't feel well and that Thomas did a lot of walking the past two days. They both had a little breakdown Sunday afternoon, so we went back to the hotel for little naps while James went back out and visited a museum. I had to remind James that they are kids, they will act like kids, not adults! They both took power naps and their mood changed (for the good) considerably!

There was also shopping. It occurred to me that since we have moved here, James has not only encouraged me to shop but he has expected it. So, every where we go, I come home with a souvenier. Rothenberg has two big Kathe Wolfhart stores which have mostly Christmas things, nutcrackers, smokers, all kinds of ornaments and such but they also have a small assortment of other things. In 2007, Kathe Wolfhart came out with some cute seasonal smokers that are shaped like eggs, I came home with a chick cracking out of an egg (for Easter) and a birdhouse smoker. I also bought a pair of cute bunnies that I kind of assume were made in China (they don't have the Kathe Wolfhart sticker on the bottom and cost a lot less) but they are cute all the same!

It was a fun time and nice to get away and feel like we actually got out and did something! Of course, now we're back at home and we have that "I need a vacation after our vacation feeling". The house looks like it's been turned upside down. There are so many bags to be unpacked and laundry to be done. At least I have nothing planned tomorrow.

Until later,

Emily

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

It looks like a really cool place... In all you picture everything seem so brown and tan and neutral colors. Is there any color there???

You said that you were going to go to London. How far is London from where you live?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe!!! I will be trying them out soon. Make sure you take pictures in the spring of the garden's and the flowers that you were telling Jeannie about. I love to see that kind of stuff.

Emily Snow said...

Kathleen--sure, I am sorry it took me forever and a day to get that recipe to you. I am so lame sometimes! Don't worry, I will take pictures, if only I could get my camera to work correctly, I'm still having problems. I'm going back to the store tomorrow, one more thing to try before I have to hassle with Sony and send it into the company. Grr.

Life in Maryland said...

Yeah, I remember staying one of those 'hotels'. Two twins put together with barely enough room to walk around it. It certainly was an experience!

Aaron said...

pix look fun!!!