Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Heat Relief!

While it has turned quite cold outside, and we bundle up in coats and scarfs, scurrying off to the car my house has remained hot! When you have the windows opened and the fans going and it is that cold outside, you know you have a problem.

Downstairs, on the furnace, the owner's manual is taped. Which is great, but it's all in German. This morning, I had a plumber come to fix a problem with our one and only tub. You know, the one that I use daily and the kids use every other day, at least. It turned out not to be a big problem (he fixed it in 5 min) but it was the kind of a problem that you need a special plumber tool for! Anyhow, the plumber was also nice enough to take a look at the furnace. He adjusted it, and told me how to adjust it further but the biggest problem was the clock was set wrong. You see, the thermostat I have in the dining room has a day and a night setting. When I did on occasion, want it warmer, it didn't seem to work and then I'd completely turn it off, and it would seem to get hotter. I guess day and night don't quite work out when your clock is completely wrong! Radiant heating takes almost a day to totally adjust, so it will probably be tomorrow until I can tell a big difference. But, I am hoping this is the solution! It does leave me wondering--how did the previous tenants live with it this way?

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do understand this problem, Ryan replaced our old,not really working thermostat, that your Dad would TAP on when it would not shut off. This one is programmable, 4 times a day. Ryan set the summer setting, then came time for the winter/fall settings. I had to read(yes one section was in English)and figure it out. I now have it set but it is much more complicated than the old round dial thermostat. You are lucky to have someone come for one job and fix the other one too. Question how did you get him to fix it? Did you apologize for the hot house? I could have asked you this during are multi skype today but didn't think about it. Hug the boys, Take care Love Always Mom

Emily Snow said...

The company that arranged the plumber appointment also asked him if he would look at the thermostat. He told me if what he did doesn't fix the problem to call him and he'll come back and keep on trying.