Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Holiday Food Shopping

This afternoon, I headed to the commissary to start my Thanksgiving/Holiday season food shopping. I was there along with everyone else with commissary privileges, it seems. You know it's bad when you have to circle the parking lot three times before you can get a parking space! I was in there for over an hour and stopped once the cart was too heavy to push anymore ($215.00 worth). It was crazy there and I was very glad that I left James and the boys at home! I'm going back on Monday to get the things that I didn't get today. Like pie ingredients, because James and I haven't discussed what kind of pies will be made this year...

As far as our Thanksgiving plans go, we are going to have it at our house, for the four of us and I'm going to send all the side dishes (I'll make double) to the family that helped us out so much when we first arrived here. I would have them over, but the wife is going to have her thyroid removed on Tuesday. Truth be told, I suspect that they won't be home on Thursday. But, they can heat up the side dishes on Thursday night or on Friday. The husband it taking care of their turkey.

I will start preparing Sunday night and do a dish or two every day until Thursday. If all goes as planned, I will only have to throw dishes in the oven on Thursday and worry about the pies and rolls on Thursday, which is enough--especially since both of these are crucial to James!

Until later.

Emily

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI... for your next visit to the commissary, military payday's are the 15th and 30th of each month and retired folks are paid the first of the month. Of course holiday's are always busy. Grandma Kay and I will be heading for the commissary on Monday also to finish our shopping. I'll be helping G-K with rolls tomorrow (cross your fingers they don't come out as sinkers). Baking is not my cup of tea, but since she's not able to knead the dough it falls to me. We just don't tell anyone I was involved then no one (espically Ed) can say anyting. Later......... B

Anonymous said...

I am doing rolls Sunday too.(We are going to Wendover Tuesday and Wednesday if your Dad is feeling better) But this year I won't be sending them to you. I am afraid they would look like the Indian corn. Just know I will be thinking of you while I eat one for you. I have only the five of us and a 20# Turkey. The cats will enjoy the turkey scrapes too. Kate is doing the dessert. Take care, Hug the boys. Love Always Mom 6:25 Saturday

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you are a Thanksgiving cook Goddess. I am just grabbing a bag of Costco rolls and butter. I will be joining the mess on Monday morning to begin my shopping for everything that makes the table look yummy. The only special thing I do is my mom's stuffing. The rest is easy. Mr. D will be at the turkey bowl thank goodness or else he would be picking at everything! I gotta love him.
I miss you!!!

jlk said...

I have done a little shopping here and there, but not a "big one." I will be at Costco Monday or Tuesday, along with the rest of Frederick.

Emily Snow said...

jlk--I remember is was just last year when I was pulling up to Costco the day before Thanksgiving, really only to buy a couple of things, and you told me I was absolutely crazy! Hopefully Monday or Tuesday will be less crowded than Wednesday. I remember standing in line a long time for those few items, thinking jlk was soooo right!