Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, November 5, 2007

The Spit Report...

Spit happens. More specifically, spit-up happens. And, unfortunately, it happened to both of my children. Thomas' spit-up issues were abundent but all but resolved by the time he was six months old. Toby, well, Toby has been another story. Compared to Toby, Thomas's issues were mild.

I put Toby on Enfamil AR formula which is a thicker formula which I then thickened some more with rice cereal. He was on Zantac three times a day. I propped him for 30 minutes after each feeding. He slept propped up. It all helped, but it did not solve. Sometimes, I would go through six bibs, three outfits and I don't know how many burp towels (but I can tell you that I have over 40 of them in my house) in a given day! Doctors have never been concerned because he hasn't seemed bothered by it and obviously managed to gain weight. I was told "he'll eventually grow out of it". As the months have gone by, I have wondered "When?"...

Well, I am happy to report that 9 months seemed to be Toby's magic number! While he still occasionally spits up, it's usually just a tiny bit, he no longer has to wear bibs and I'm not doing near as much laundry. He's on regular formula and I've quit the Zantac. Hallelueah!

Until later,

Emily

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

THREE CHEERS. Proves good things always come to those who wait. Love Gert

Anonymous said...

For those of us who have been so blessed with Toby's blast, we are also glad this has come to a end too. Good things do come in small packages. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom 7:45 a.m. Monday

jlk said...

My kids are late spit-uppers, too. Mini-me was done by about 9 months, but Patch finished up at about 13 months. Gross, no? And people act like you've done something to delay that development...Perhaps too much diet coke in utero?

Anonymous said...

jlk, maybe that is it! Except in my case maybe I didn't drink enough with Toby since I didn't drink a drop until I was in the second trimester with him. We should drink more Diet Coke the next time around (if) and maybe we'll get it right! :)

DanceNplay said...

My boys both spit up like CRAZY. You should see my carpet. I have to scrub throw up spots all day, every day. I did the whole Zantac, rice cereal dance too. It never seemed to help my kids. My oldest grew out of it once he started eating mre solids. My youngest, still does constently. He eats solids three times a day too. He olny seems to spit up alot after he breastfeeds. He doesn't have a low tolerance for dairy because we give him yogurt. I go through so many clothes with that boy. I think it's because he inhales my milk and swallows alot of air! BTW~ you can comment on my blog as much as you WANT! I don't CARE! I wont think you're crazy! And I did drink alor of Diet Coke with my babe...and I still do. Holla.

DanceNplay said...

I spelled a few words wrong! OOPS! I'm not stupid! I promise!

Anonymous said...

jlk and dancenplay--thanks both for posting about the spit up issues. Sometimes I do feel so bad that my kids have had this problem like there was something I could have done differently, but I know there wasn't. It's just one of those things...but mom's that don't have to deal with this problem ever seem to make me feel inferior. And, along that subject, they also don't realize how much harder it makes those infant months...the extra laundry for everyone and the scrubbing of the carpets, there's so much more work involved!