Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, August 25, 2008

Lunch Time Just Got a Whole Lot Harder...

For the most part, I am planning on sending cold lunch with Thomas to school. Hot lunch is expensive, 3,50 euro and next year when he starts first grade it goes up to 4,00 euro but really it is not so much about the expense...it is more about the fact that I don't think he will eat the majority of the lunches...they are way too "gourmet" for Thomas. They send out a menu every two weeks, I will look at it and if they happen to have a cheese pizza day, well, he might get hot lunch that day but other than that, he'll get cold lunch.

Not only will he get cold lunch every day but I had planned on basically sending him the same thing for lunch every day. A peanut butter sandwich, carrot sticks, a bag of chips or crackers, fruit snacks and a juice box. Imagine my horror today when I found in the parent folder that in his classroom there is a child with "severe nut allergies" and therefore, have decided to make Thomas' classroom totally nut-free. This applies to snack and lunch. I am sympathetic toward the child and his family but now what do I send Thomas for lunch? He doesn't eat lunch meat, tuna fish, chicken salad, egg salad--or anything! Luckily, he started eating cheese quesadillas a while ago, so the only thing I can think of is sending him a cold cheese quesadilla. He doesn't even like cheese sandwiches, although I'm not sure why.

To get news like this has really put me in a bad mood! Any suggestions? I'm seriously stressed out over this!

Until later,

Emily

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...that is a problem. How about yogurt? Didn't he used to eat that? I'll have to brainstorm this one and get back to you.

jlk said...

ugh! I could not even imagine. You know, some kids eat lunchables who wouldn't normally eat lunch meat (like Patch) -- do they carry those in Germany? They have hot dog ones and chicken nugget ones. Also, Flower sometimes likes me to send a tortilla and some cheese slices for her lunch. A cold quesadilla doesn't sound too apetizing.

Anonymous said...

Will he eat a plain jelly/jam sandwichs? You're hearing more and more kids with allergies not only to nuts, Jayden can't have milk or milk products so I'm still dealing with soy or rice milk. Hope Thomas will eat the cheese quesadilla.... Good luck.

Anonymous said...

For Thomas I can only see his lunch may have more snack foods, maybe some cereal. It's really too bad but he can have traditional peanut and jelly/honey for a after school treat. Now you will also have to read labels to make sure the treats have no nut cautions on them. Hug the boys and take care. Love Always Mom

sues2u2 said...

Oh, man. I would be in the same position that you are. I've wondered what I'd do but... What about "pinwheel roll ups"? They are refried beans, cream cheese & a few other things in flour tortillas that are then refrigerated & sliced. Although H wouldn't eat them either. Or does he like a cold veggie appetizer pizza? It has broccoli, green peppers, cream cheese & is made on a baked crescent roll crust.

Good luck. I'm eager to hear your answers.

Sarah said...

I would Freak Out if this Happened! Ian eats PB&J every day for lunch. You might just make him a jelly sandwich? Thats a tough one! I would prob see if I could switch classrooms. My kids are picky eaters, when it comes to sandwiches. Good Luck!!

Life in Maryland said...

What about yogurt/applesauce/ pretzels/tortilla chips/cheese and crackers ... this is what Beth's kids ate for lunch/snack when I prepared them for their school lunches. They have nut free enviros too.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm with you on this. Last year I bought Emma's lunch and come to find out about a third of the way in year that it was mostly ala carte--I thought that "snacks" were but that was about it anyway she had been buying snacks and snack foods for lunch mostly so I had to send a note in saying that I wanted her to not be allowed to buy extra's only the "main" meal. So far (but really we're only one day in) I've let her make her own lunch with my supervision--Ok, so a bologny sandwich with ketchup and cheese on wheat is not my first choice but as long as she eats it (which she did) I'm happy. Also--you should ck out family fun's website--they have some cute ideas and thoughts on things to put in lunches.

Alison said...

Does he eat cheese and crackers? You could try the make your own lunchable. Sorry-We eat peanut butter and jelly most days at my house...good luck!