Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Racing the Clock!

Two weeks from tomorrow, Thomas will start school. It starts at 8:45 AM, but we will leave the house at about 8:25 (I'll drive him), he will be gone all day, until 3:10 PM. I have some normal concerns, but my big ones have to deal with meals. Meals and eating have never been a high priority for Thomas. And, he is a slow eater, which will be a huge problem once he is in school. The only effective tool that I have found in helping motivate him is using a timer. I have witnessed the kid take over an hour to eat a small bowl of cereal! So, since we've been home I have been "training" him for school mornings (since the night-time thing isn't working out all that well, yet!). First, he has to go potty and get dressed, then we come downstairs and I pour him a bowl of healthy cereal (as opposed to the sugar cereal that he & I prefer) and a cup of juice or strawberry milk and I set the timer for 15 minutes. If he can finish all that within 15 minutes, he gets the chance for 5 more minutes and a Pop Tart. If not, the remainder of his breakfast is thrown away, and there are no snacks in between breakfast and lunch and only water to drink. After that, he goes upstairs and brushes his teeth and I comb his hair.

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

Sarah said...

The hardest part of my morning is getting Ian off to school. He just started riding his bike so I don't have to get the whole family ready to drive 3 minutes in the car. Setting a timer is a good idea I think I might steal. Ian is a slow eater too, he easily gets distracted and has a hard time finishing what he has started.

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome mommy!! it will all work out some how. don't be surprised by tears--yours:) some of joy some of my little boy is growing up!!
love ya
mlk