Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Monday, January 21, 2008

The Baby Gate Saga Continues...

You might remember that I ordered baby gate hardware from the States way back in the beginning of December so that we could mount our baby gates to our wrought iron railing.

You might also remember that I waited almost entirely a whole month before I lost my patience, and got on the phone with the company to find out what exactly was up.

It appeared that the shipment had been lost by good ol' USPS, so the company sent out a duplicate order, but reminded me that it "could take up to two weeks to arrive at your address", only to have the first shipment arrive two days later--they had an entirely incorrect zip code.

So, I've had shipment #1 for about three weeks and shipment #2 for about two weeks, but do I have gates up yet? Umm, that would be a NO!

For a few brief moments today I thought I might get them installed by James, only to find out that "I don't know where the hardware is". Grrrr. I was hopping mad for a few minutes and then I remembered that there are a couple of things that I can't find either and they are a whole lot bigger than some pieces of hardware in a Ziploc bag.

So, now I will try to order some new hardware. Seems like something that you should be able to order...so that means it probably isn't.

In the meantime, we will try to keep Toby off the stairs, which, by the way he climbed the entire set from top to bottom today. It's not the climbing up that I'm worried about...it's the falling down! By the way, I don't want to hear all the stories about how "we never had gates, you need to TEACH them to go down the stairs" or the fact that a guy in our ward who has a baby one month older than Toby, who just moved into their home a week ago, told James yesterday "we don't have gates, we just taught him how to go down". Let me promise you, I've witnessed this kid walking around in church, he trips over NOTHING. He will have a trip the emergency room if they don't get gates. As will Toby. We WILL have gates--someday! Yes, yes we certainly will!

Until later,

Emily

P.S. I found the baby gate's website and luckily you can reorder hardware...at a steep price I might say. And, I had to buy two sets of hardware because we have two gates. Baby gates like mine aren't cheap to begin with, so this is still the best way. Unfortunately, you have to print out and mail in the order...so I'm guessing I won't get the parts for at least three weeks. If at all, because the website didn't say that they will or won't ship to APO's. Crossing my fingers that they do and they will. Or else we'll be no further ahead then we were at the beginning of December!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily if you have to have them shipped here and I will send them out with one of the boxes coming your way anyway. Mint cocoa and mouse traps, diaper bags are on the way tomorrow. Also Valentine assorted candy and powdered suckers. I send a boxes all the time anyway. Hug the boys. Love Always Mom
P.S. the sooner you order it the sooner you will find the lost parts it almost never fails. I did say ALMOST.

Alison said...

Hopefully you are able to use those gates before he is old enough to install them himself!! GOOD LUCK!

Anonymous said...

What a busy day you have had!! I bet after you order them...you find the ziplock baggy of hardware. That happens to us anyway!! As for gates and those who say they don't use them; They say it out of pure guilt that they haven't installed them....I bet they still have stories of kids falling down the stairs. I say do whatever gives you peace. I was a freak first time mom with oldest M...we only had a step down and I was worried:)

sues2u2 said...

I'm with you! Baby gates are a must. Teaching is great but... We don't like trips to the er very much either!!! Love the teeth. Poor little guy looks pretty darn sad. Take care & good luck getting the product. If they don't deliver to APO have them sent to someone & they can forward it. How's the fridge saga? I hope that I didn't complete the jinx!

Anonymous said...

Since I have a door at the top of the stairs I was able to close off the stairs, but when the kids could open the door out came the safety chain. Now with the grandkids I have a gate at the bottom of the stairs since the family room in the basement now.

I agree with the other posts, you'll probably find the hardware after you order the replacement parts......