Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Military Medicine

When we first arrived here (can you believe it's been nearly five months?!) we were told that we have two options with doctors--either go on base to the military doctors or go out "on the economy" to the German doctors.

Because I needed to get a health assessment form filled out for Thomas to attend preschool, and because I didn't have a car or a license at the time, I decided to take him to the Military Medical Clinic. We registered the whole family, and that was sort of a hassle. It took entirely too long and the girl at the front desk was completely incompetent for the position.

The way they do things did take a little getting used to. But, I think that is the way it is whenever you make a major move. People do things differently from state to state, or even county to county!

Everything is done in the same building. Your appointment is generally on the third floor, but I've been seen on the second floor as well. They pull you in for vitals, and then you have to go back to the waiting room and wait to be called by the doctor. If you have an appointment and also need blood work or shots, you are seen by the doctor and then you go to the second floor for the shots and blood work (and wait again), the pharmacy is also located on this floor, where you take a ticket and wait, but I've never waited more than five minutes. We had to wait quite a while to get our flu shots, but I would consider our wait for everything else pretty normal.

As far as the service and quality of care that I have received, I have felt like I am getting good service. I particularly like the primary care doctor that has been assigned to our family (and if I didn't I could ask to try someone else), I have felt that everyone has been very courteous and very polite. There have even been a couple of times where I have felt that individuals have really gone out of their way to help me. Like when I tried to get Thomas a flu shot before he started his day at preschool (because the clinic and his preschool are located at the same base)only to find out that it was the clinic's lunch hour. The individual working at the front desk of immunizations told me to come back after 1:00 but before 4:00, because that was when they close. Thomas goes to preschool until 4:00 but I opted to pull him out 45 minutes early so that he could get the shot. Anyways, we arrived, and the clinic had become so busy and the same lady said you probably won't be able to be seen. Then I pleaded with her that she told me if I came back...well, then I think she remembered me and the next thing I knew, she was on the phone with someone upstairs to see if they could give Thomas the shot. Two minutes later, Thomas had the shot!

In the military, active duty patients get first priority, then retirees, then the civilians, so we are the "low men on the totem pole". I guess a lot of my other fellow civilian friends don't like this so they have chosen to go to German doctors. But, I really haven't felt that it has been a problem at all! Besides, I hear about all the massive paperwork that you have to fill out (if you go out on the economy) and send back in order to get reimbursed by your insurance, (which means you pay the bill upfront) and the extra hassle of either having enough euros on hand or having to go to the bank to pay the bill. When you get a bill in Germany, the day you get it, it is due. So, you go out that day or at the latest the very next day and pay that bill with a bank transfer. They don't take checks or accept our credit cards. So, it's really a pain. Unless, I have a different experience in the future, I'm sticking with the American way!

Until later,

Emily

2 comments:

sues2u2 said...

For the most part we didn't have problems with the military docs. As a matter of fact some of them are incredibly wonderful & this is coming from someone who has had the worst too! I'm so glad for you though that things are going good. It is truly awful if you can't find a doc when you have young kids.

Anonymous said...

It's good that you understand the pecking order of how the military system works. However, if one of the boys should get sick you are moved to the front. Stay well.......