Every day life and occasional adventures of Emily Snow and Family

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Happy First Birthday, Toby!

Toby turned one on Friday! The day started out all right, but as it progressed, it got crazier and crazier--for me.

I dropped Thomas off at preschool and had a handful of errands to run in the three hours that he was there. It would be tough, but with a little luck, I felt confident that I could get it all done! Unfortunately, nothing worked out as hoped, I struck out at Toys R Us, then, I got lost somewhere in Wiesbaden, I was, however, able to preorder some pizzas to be picked up later on that night and then right as I was walking out of the food court, I ran into a friend who I could tell needed someone to talk to (I haven't made very many friends here, but she is one of them!). I sat and talked to her until I absolutely had to leave in order to pick up Thomas on time. I got him at exactly 4:00. I still needed to go grocery shopping. So, we went to the commissary and knocked out the list. I then ran back to the PX to pick up the pizzas. Wouldn't you know it, the guy working the day shift forgot to tell the girl working the evening shift! So, we had to wait for the pizzas.

We didn't get home until nearly 6 PM! James pulled up just minutes later, as Thomas and I were still unloading groceries from the car. I'm sure James was glad that he put an effort in to get home a little early... We put away the perishables, and cracked open the pizza boxes. The kitchen table was covered, so we ate wherever we could find a space! The pizzas are usually pretty good but it was obvious that the girl had hurried them because they were still a little doughy. (Note: doughy cookies=yummy, doughy pizza=so not!) Pretty disappointing when you consider that this is the first time I've brought home pizza in the five months that we've lived here!

After that, I still needed to frost the cake! Luckily, I wasn't doing anything fancy and at least I had baked the cake that morning! I frosted the cake and then we let Toby open presents. By this time, he was getting tired (it was around 8 PM) and we still hadn't had cake yet! We had our cake, Toby ate some but wasn't that into it (again, the tiredness, however he still managed to make a HUGE mess). We stripped him down and let him get his second wind where he crawled around nearly naked on the crumby floor! James, Thomas and I just sat and played with him and laughed at how funny he really is with his sniper-crawl and his growling lion sounds! He really is quite the kid!

In the end, I was glad that I opted not to have a party with anyone other than our little family...I know I would have been in tears. But, after I gave it some thought, I realized that the entire day Toby was happy...so at least it was a good day for him and that is was counts the MOST!

Here are a few pics of Toby's first birthday:

4 comments:

jlk said...

He is so cute! Kids birthdays can be so much work. I will never forget Flower's 4th birthday where we had 17 kids in our little house (plus parents) because of a thunder storm that cancelled the outdoor portion of the party. Yikes.

Happy Birthday little T!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. Toby and Thomas are such handsome guys. Glad Toby had a good day, but why shouldn't he as he was with his favorite girl. Time seems to fly by--doesn't seem like he is a year old already. All is well here. The knee is doing good but I am still using the cane and going to therapy.
Love, Gert

sues2u2 said...

Happy Birthday, Toby! Life sure has changed for you guys. I remember when Thomas was that little & the only boy in playgroup. The pix are adorable. Easy to see why they are such sweet boys. Lots of love there!

Anonymous said...

I will try this AGAIN! At least the Birthday boy enjoyed his day. Just think Toby had birthday wishes from all over the world. I'm glad you followed you instincts and did not do anymore than family. Hug the boys and put your feet up. Love Always Mom